Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-09-2010, 07:56 AM   #1

Share |

roofing

I got contractor to roof house after tearing off shingles he left lots of nails as the roofers said too many nails 11 per shingle and instead of pulling them drove in, lots after the paper was laid. the one next to edge should have been the water - ice sheet and it should have had wording on it . I lifted up the paper as it was tack on upper side but nails were still up under it with chunks of shingles up to 3 inches and paper was still on bottom under nail so I don't think they took off the last water ice shield. The roof should have been compleatly cleared and all nails should have been taken out or driven down. before the paper is laid and they laid the paper down over the nails and was hammering them down thur the paper which tore when he didn't hit it right. water and ice shied should have been sticky and I think he just put on roofing paper. 1. Should he have pulled the nails out if they were up and alot. 2. Should the water ice sheild have wording on it and is it tacky, 3. My roof was done on a cold day ( ND) and high winds of 65 the next day and real cold. The roof isn't laying down, should I wait to see if it lays down or pay him , I think the roof wasn't done right. I do have a contract but alot of the times they leave the area after they are done. When I helped with roofs years ago I pulled all nails that were up and every square bit was cleaned off before. If nails are all drove down instead of pulled soon there is too many nails in the 2x6 and than you get nails on nail- the roof has been done three times in 15 yrs from hail. he said that he was in Bismarck from 1995 but the trucks had tx lisense plates and two Mex. which I think he subcontracted out. Of all the roofers he was the one with the most professionl papers and suppose to be certified. Thanks

Last edited by rbcf; 12-09-2010 at 08:56 AM.
rbcf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:31 AM   #2
Doing This Way Too Long

roofing

Not all ice shield has printing on it but it is easy to distinguish it from felt. As far as prepping, our policy is to pull all bent nails but it's okay to pull or pound the rest, as long as the deck is smooth and clean when done.

No, it should not have been dried in before the deck was properly prepped and cleaned.

As far as laying down, all other things listed aside, it's not going to instantly seal this time of year. That's not the contractor's fault and that alone doesn't mean he did anything wrong.

Whether everything was done correcty, we can't tell without being there.

A N Dakota contractor didn't put your roof on, he just sold it to you. Hopefully he is an established and reputable contractor and will be there this spring when you see how well it actually was installed.

Last edited by OldNBroken; 12-09-2010 at 10:34 AM.
OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:38 AM   #3

roofing

I knew you potato pickers were poundersJ/K OnB,just getting you back for all the Canuck comments.Anyways,post some pics of your roof but it sounds like the 'contractor' took a few shortcuts.
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:52 AM   #4

roofing

The license plates tell you where he was really from.

After one year, he will be long gone and out of state unless another hail storm hits your area.

Have the roof inspected by a professional if you want to know for sure if it was done correctly.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:42 PM   #5
Doing This Way Too Long

roofing

JohnK, I grew up travelling up there to show you guys how to play soccer so you'll always be Canucks to me. "Potatoe pickers"...I like it.
I've found as long as they go straight in there is no detriment to pounding but if they are bent they need to be pulled. Either way it doesn't sound like the OP got a very professional job.
Ed, it sounds like a local "contractor" just subbed it out to some chasers. As long as his name is on the contract and he is reputable then hopefully there will be some substance to any warranty they may need to exercise.
Yes, pictures of concerns would be nice.
Old 12-09-2010, 06:47 PM   #6
MJW

roofing

Actually, I think the nations largest potato farmer is in MN, not Idaho.

I bet it's not a local contractor at all. ND is full of contractors that are out of towners right lately. I don't think there is much for local contractors up there yet.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 10:40 PM   #7

roofing

[quote=OldNBroken;548713]JohnK, I grew up travelling up there to show you guys how to play soccer so you'll always be Canucks to me. "Potatoe pickers"...I like it.
Thats all I could come up with
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:23 AM   #8

roofing

I finally figured out how to get the attachments. This is my new roof. before the snow , which I hate to see moisture get under it. Now would any one put caulking under shingles that wasn't touching to seal? He said he did it to make me happy. Maybe if he put some bricks of something on it
Attached Thumbnails
roofing-house-098.jpg   roofing-roof-nov-1-2010-016.jpg  
Old 12-15-2010, 02:33 AM   #9

roofing

This is after it was 68-70 degrees for 4 days
Attached Thumbnails
roofing-roof-nov-1-2010-017.jpg   roofing-roof-nov-1-2010-004.jpg  
Old 12-15-2010, 06:58 AM   #10

roofing

Wow! I want to hear what the experts have to say, but that looks terrible to me. And no, you shouldn't have to caulk your roof. If it's that bad it probably needs redone.

By the look of it, the roof wasn't properly cleaned and cleared of debris first as you said or maybe the shingles are buckled because he tried realigning them by adjusting individual shingles as he was nailing. I'd love to see more detailed pics from the roof.

Last edited by housegsx; 12-15-2010 at 07:02 AM.
housegsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:54 PM   #11
Doing This Way Too Long

roofing

RBCF, sorry to say but you got some serious issues. If those are staples popping through causing those birdsmouths they are eventually going to tear through the new shingles. I highly doubt your roof is ever going to seal properly and NO, caulking them down is not a proper solution. Was this a reputable, licensed ROOFING contractor with any kind of references?
Old 12-15-2010, 08:05 PM   #12
MJW

roofing

It's called a storm chaser pimping out the work to Mexicans and calling himself a Contractor. These stories pop up after every storm because people are reeled in by a sweet talking salesman with nice paperwork. I wouldn't pay and never would have hired him in the first place. There are local professionals to do the work. Just telling the truth here (Contractor myself) and it happens all the time. Most people just don't know how it works. Good luck and hang on to your money! Do you have inspections on roofs there?
BTW, ask him for proof of insurance from the subs and all their workmans comp also. You'll be able to keep your money then. Usually just the salesman has a license and insurance (or his boss) and the subs work for cash (big no no).

Last edited by MJW; 12-15-2010 at 08:07 PM.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:14 PM   #13
40+yrs Paint Trades

roofing

That doesn't look good. Should haves don't help you out, but I would have been up on that roof screaming as soon as I saw they were not doing the job properly. MJW says to keep the money, I concur.

Get all your documentation together. Did you take pics of the inadequate strip job? Get some bids from other contractors on replacing/repairing the roof. File suit in small claims court against the original roofing contractor.

Last edited by hoz49; 12-16-2010 at 07:18 AM.
hoz49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:17 AM   #14

roofing

I was on the phone to the boss after I seen the Shingle pcs on the nails under the paper and he asked me if I got after them. Now he wants his money and is charging me $50 every month it isn't paidl. No there isn't no inspections done and the insurance said it is up to me.

Now there is snow on the roof so I don't forsee that the roof will go down for quite some time here in ND and I call the state and he is legally here and has a perament address. Until the snow goes off nothing can be inspected.

I only got the pic after the house was done . Brought a older nieghbor over to see the shingles under the paper and so he said that was not good. The man did clean that side out, just some under the nail and suppose to have change the paper but not sure as he was already getting the shingles on it after I talked with his boss.

The gutter shingles are nailed down and so now I can't remove them to clean out the gutters and so I'm stuck with that. There was directions on each shingle on how they were suppose to be just laid under the shingles. I bet they couldn't read that. I needed them in for the Cottonwood seeds as it is really bad here and as I'm not able to get up there as I get older I needed something to keep them clean.
Attached Thumbnails
roofing-roof-nov-1-2010-004.jpg  
Old 12-16-2010, 09:24 AM   #15

roofing

these are right after and yes some had come down and I hope that the rest do also.