Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-06-2010, 07:25 AM   #1

Share |

Roofing

What type of material is best for a slightly sloped roof; about 12'' drop, what is the best way to attach it. This is a porch roof 5/8 plywood. New at this.

rnldblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:48 AM   #2

Roofing

I wouldn't use shingles on anything less then a 3 pitch.You could go with a cold prossessed material.Its fairly easy to apply,but requires a few days to cure.You can also use EPDM Rubber.A 45 mill should do the job,but requires abit more material.You could also go with a Residental pole barn metal,which would be the cheapest.

Ron Smith Const is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:37 AM   #3

Roofing

Epdm glued the wood.
BornaRoofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:02 PM   #4

Roofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornaRoofer View Post
Epdm glued the wood.

Would you glue epdm to bare wood. That almost made me laugh.I dont think any roofer in his right mind would go that route.If you would have read more you'd see i qouted it would take more material to us EPDM.I wouldn't apply any roof system to bare wood.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:53 PM   #5
Shut in w/o Home

Roofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Smith Const View Post
Would you glue epdm to bare wood. That almost made me laugh.I dont think any roofer in his right mind would go that route.If you would have read more you'd see i qouted it would take more material to us EPDM.I wouldn't apply any roof system to bare wood.
We do it on occasion, but only on new OSB, screwed, not nailed and usually pretty small areas.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
Shut in w/o Home

Roofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Smith Const View Post
I wouldn't use shingles on anything less then a 3 pitch.You could go with a cold prossessed material.Its fairly easy to apply,but requires a few days to cure.You can also use EPDM Rubber.A 45 mill should do the job,but requires abit more material.You could also go with a Residental pole barn metal,which would be the cheapest.
Most 30 year dimensionals are manufacturer rated down to 2/12 with ice and water shield or half lapped #30 felt underlayment.

I'm also not a fan of .045 EPDM. There's not much difference in price between .045 and .060.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:38 PM   #7

Roofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeyou View Post
Most 30 year dimensionals are manufacturer rated down to 2/12 with ice and water shield or half lapped #30 felt underlayment.

I'm also not a fan of .045 EPDM. There's not much difference in price between .045 and .060.
I totally agree for the extra $200 its well worth getting the 60 mill.Rubber would be the most expensive.Plus all the extras.Board,Bonding adhesive,Lap adhesive,screws plates,Prime ect...I have done the half lap method with Timberline on a 3 pitch.Plus I have also Roofed large sections with Ice & Water Guard on a 3 pitch.Havent had any issues yet.So yeah that will do the job..
Old 06-08-2010, 04:49 PM   #8

Roofing

Im glad I could put some happiness in your day there Ron.
You can get up to a 30yr manufactures warranty with epdm glued to wood. In fact some manufactures require it for their extended warranties for hail resistance.
It must be screwed not nailed and be in good condition with no sharp protrusions.
Also he says he has a 12" drop? Over what length?
If the pitch is less than a 3/12 using shingles would be a bad choice especially if you cant see the roof. If you have to use I&W to keep out the water you should put a low slope roof on it if you can.
He also didn't say the what the size of the roof is. For a few hundred more dollars it may be worth getting a roof that will last 20 years for real instead of one that will rot off in 10 like shingles that never dry out due to the low slope.

Last edited by BornaRoofer; 06-08-2010 at 04:59 PM.
BornaRoofer is offline   Reply With Quote