Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2010, 07:25 AM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1
Share |
Default

Roofing


What type of material is best for a slightly sloped roof; about 12'' drop, what is the best way to attach it. This is a porch roof 5/8 plywood. New at this.

rnldblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 22
Default

Roofing


I wouldn't use shingles on anything less then a 3 pitch.You could go with a cold prossessed material.Its fairly easy to apply,but requires a few days to cure.You can also use EPDM Rubber.A 45 mill should do the job,but requires abit more material.You could also go with a Residental pole barn metal,which would be the cheapest.

Ron Smith Const is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:37 AM   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 22
Default

Roofing


Epdm glued the wood.
BornaRoofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:02 PM   #4
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 22
Default

Roofing


Quote:
Originally Posted by BornaRoofer View Post
Epdm glued the wood.

Would you glue epdm to bare wood. That almost made me laugh.I dont think any roofer in his right mind would go that route.If you would have read more you'd see i qouted it would take more material to us EPDM.I wouldn't apply any roof system to bare wood.
Ron Smith Const is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 01:53 PM   #5
Shut in w/o Home
 
seeyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 696
Default

Roofing


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Smith Const View Post
Would you glue epdm to bare wood. That almost made me laugh.I dont think any roofer in his right mind would go that route.If you would have read more you'd see i qouted it would take more material to us EPDM.I wouldn't apply any roof system to bare wood.
We do it on occasion, but only on new OSB, screwed, not nailed and usually pretty small areas.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
Shut in w/o Home
 
seeyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Lexington, KY
Posts: 696
Default

Roofing


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Smith Const View Post
I wouldn't use shingles on anything less then a 3 pitch.You could go with a cold prossessed material.Its fairly easy to apply,but requires a few days to cure.You can also use EPDM Rubber.A 45 mill should do the job,but requires abit more material.You could also go with a Residental pole barn metal,which would be the cheapest.
Most 30 year dimensionals are manufacturer rated down to 2/12 with ice and water shield or half lapped #30 felt underlayment.

I'm also not a fan of .045 EPDM. There's not much difference in price between .045 and .060.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 02:38 PM   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 22
Default

Roofing


Quote:
Originally Posted by seeyou View Post
Most 30 year dimensionals are manufacturer rated down to 2/12 with ice and water shield or half lapped #30 felt underlayment.

I'm also not a fan of .045 EPDM. There's not much difference in price between .045 and .060.
I totally agree for the extra $200 its well worth getting the 60 mill.Rubber would be the most expensive.Plus all the extras.Board,Bonding adhesive,Lap adhesive,screws plates,Prime ect...I have done the half lap method with Timberline on a 3 pitch.Plus I have also Roofed large sections with Ice & Water Guard on a 3 pitch.Havent had any issues yet.So yeah that will do the job..
Ron Smith Const is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 04:49 PM   #8
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 22
Default

Roofing


Im glad I could put some happiness in your day there Ron.
You can get up to a 30yr manufactures warranty with epdm glued to wood. In fact some manufactures require it for their extended warranties for hail resistance.
It must be screwed not nailed and be in good condition with no sharp protrusions.
Also he says he has a 12" drop? Over what length?
If the pitch is less than a 3/12 using shingles would be a bad choice especially if you cant see the roof. If you have to use I&W to keep out the water you should put a low slope roof on it if you can.
He also didn't say the what the size of the roof is. For a few hundred more dollars it may be worth getting a roof that will last 20 years for real instead of one that will rot off in 10 like shingles that never dry out due to the low slope.


Last edited by BornaRoofer; 06-08-2010 at 04:59 PM.
BornaRoofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Choosing The "Right" Roofing Contractor, How To Evaluate Who Is Right! Ed the Roofer Roofing/Siding 27 04-25-2013 05:10 AM
Multiple Roofing issues on my home. *HELP!* 2bsure Roofing/Siding 4 12-16-2009 09:29 PM
Rolled Roofing Leaking and Leaking DIYNewbee Roofing/Siding 9 12-13-2009 09:46 PM
Roll Roofing Edge Leak toolboxone Roofing/Siding 5 10-07-2009 06:09 AM
Roll Roofing Repair IfItAintBrokeFixItAnyway Roofing/Siding 9 09-13-2009 05:32 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.