DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (http://www.diychatroom.com/)
-   Roofing/Siding (http://www.diychatroom.com/f9/)
-   -   Roofing (http://www.diychatroom.com/f9/roofing-72949/)

rnldblake 06-06-2010 07:25 AM

Roofing
 
What type of material is best for a slightly sloped roof; about 12'' drop, what is the best way to attach it. This is a porch roof 5/8 plywood. New at this.

Ron Smith Const 06-06-2010 09:48 AM

I wouldn't use shingles on anything less then a 3 pitch.You could go with a cold prossessed material.Its fairly easy to apply,but requires a few days to cure.You can also use EPDM Rubber.A 45 mill should do the job,but requires abit more material.You could also go with a Residental pole barn metal,which would be the cheapest.

BornaRoofer 06-08-2010 09:37 AM

Epdm glued the wood.

Ron Smith Const 06-08-2010 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BornaRoofer (Post 452876)
Epdm glued the wood.


Would you glue epdm to bare wood.:wink: That almost made me laugh.I dont think any roofer in his right mind would go that route.If you would have read more you'd see i qouted it would take more material to us EPDM.I wouldn't apply any roof system to bare wood.

seeyou 06-08-2010 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Smith Const (Post 452973)
Would you glue epdm to bare wood.:wink: That almost made me laugh.I dont think any roofer in his right mind would go that route.If you would have read more you'd see i qouted it would take more material to us EPDM.I wouldn't apply any roof system to bare wood.

We do it on occasion, but only on new OSB, screwed, not nailed and usually pretty small areas.

seeyou 06-08-2010 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron Smith Const (Post 451988)
I wouldn't use shingles on anything less then a 3 pitch.You could go with a cold prossessed material.Its fairly easy to apply,but requires a few days to cure.You can also use EPDM Rubber.A 45 mill should do the job,but requires abit more material.You could also go with a Residental pole barn metal,which would be the cheapest.

Most 30 year dimensionals are manufacturer rated down to 2/12 with ice and water shield or half lapped #30 felt underlayment.

I'm also not a fan of .045 EPDM. There's not much difference in price between .045 and .060.

Ron Smith Const 06-08-2010 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seeyou (Post 453009)
Most 30 year dimensionals are manufacturer rated down to 2/12 with ice and water shield or half lapped #30 felt underlayment.

I'm also not a fan of .045 EPDM. There's not much difference in price between .045 and .060.

I totally agree for the extra $200 its well worth getting the 60 mill.Rubber would be the most expensive.Plus all the extras.Board,Bonding adhesive,Lap adhesive,screws plates,Prime ect...I have done the half lap method with Timberline on a 3 pitch.Plus I have also Roofed large sections with Ice & Water Guard on a 3 pitch.Havent had any issues yet.So yeah that will do the job..

BornaRoofer 06-08-2010 04:49 PM

Im glad I could put some happiness in your day there Ron.
You can get up to a 30yr manufactures warranty with epdm glued to wood. In fact some manufactures require it for their extended warranties for hail resistance.
It must be screwed not nailed and be in good condition with no sharp protrusions.
Also he says he has a 12" drop? Over what length?
If the pitch is less than a 3/12 using shingles would be a bad choice especially if you cant see the roof. If you have to use I&W to keep out the water you should put a low slope roof on it if you can.
He also didn't say the what the size of the roof is. For a few hundred more dollars it may be worth getting a roof that will last 20 years for real instead of one that will rot off in 10 like shingles that never dry out due to the low slope.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:00 PM.


Copyright 2003-2014 Escalate Media LP. All Rights Reserved