Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2014, 09:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4,152

Roofing

Just the thrill of having to replace 30 sq. of shingles on the home I share with my lady friend last week.
They had built additions on the front and back of the home many years ago with about a 2-12 pitch and had used 3 tab shingles with all the glue lines exposed because they had set the exposure at 6" instead of the required 4" on a low slope roof.
They had H clips on only half the roof.
Stamped right on the plywood it was stamped "reject" right over the grade mark.
There was no spacing between sheets.
Some areas had 5 layers of tar paper other's had none.
They had made there own step flashing out of what looked like paper thin aluminum flashing, then nailed into where it was bent 90 deg.
There was an old repair where an old chimney had been and they just used a bunch of nails at an angle to support it and had tarred it in place, so all you had to do was push on it to get it to fall through.
There was 0 insulation over the ceiling.
Only used 2 nails on each piece of 10' long drip edging.
Flashing on the chimney was done with the same paper thin flashing, not cut into the mortar joints, and just nailed to the block with ungalvinized roofing nails.
The rafters did not even run out so they would sit on top of the walls, where tapered to nothing and where just resting on top of the plywood ceiling.
Gee I wonder if a first time DIY did this one?

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to joecaption For This Useful Post:
Windows on Wash (04-24-2014)
Old 04-24-2014, 11:10 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 572

Roofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Just the thrill of having to replace 30 sq. of shingles on the home I share with my lady friend last week.
They had built additions on the front and back of the home many years ago with about a 2-12 pitch and had used 3 tab shingles with all the glue lines exposed because they had set the exposure at 6" instead of the required 4" on a low slope roof.
They had H clips on only half the roof.
Stamped right on the plywood it was stamped "reject" right over the grade mark.
There was no spacing between sheets.
Some areas had 5 layers of tar paper other's had none.
They had made there own step flashing out of what looked like paper thin aluminum flashing, then nailed into where it was bent 90 deg.
There was an old repair where an old chimney had been and they just used a bunch of nails at an angle to support it and had tarred it in place, so all you had to do was push on it to get it to fall through.
There was 0 insulation over the ceiling.
Only used 2 nails on each piece of 10' long drip edging.
Flashing on the chimney was done with the same paper thin flashing, not cut into the mortar joints, and just nailed to the block with ungalvinized roofing nails.
The rafters did not even run out so they would sit on top of the walls, where tapered to nothing and where just resting on top of the plywood ceiling.
Gee I wonder if a first time DIY did this one?
You can't teach common sense

cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:30 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 754

Roofing

I feel your pain Joe.Unfortunetly I see way to much of this myself.Not on my own house though these days.I've taken care of most of it the last few years.I do still have a set of stairs on my back porch you would get a kick out of.
mako1 is offline   Reply With Quote