Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-30-2008, 11:08 AM   #1

Share |

Roofing

I was woundering what felt paper i should use for a new construction roof. All the roofers are saying 30# but my contractor put down 15#. Also all the roofers are puting in there speach a drip edge for where ever there is a gutter but the contractor is like you don't need it..?? Can I get the real answer for a New York home. Thanks in advance

Skids

Skids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:21 PM   #2
Building and plumbing

Roofing

Ice and water shield across drip edge and in all valleys, 15lb felt paper, metal drip edge along drip edge and rakes.

can not see difference between 15 and 30 lb felt because once the shingles are laid, then the shingles are what repels water, not the felt paper. It just creates a barrier between the shingles and plywood. For those who say it stops water leaking, lets be real, once you lay your shingles you punch a million holes in it, hows that going to stop water?

Last edited by USP45; 03-30-2008 at 12:24 PM.
USP45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 02:03 PM   #3

Roofing

Manufacturers typically recommend 15# or synthetic felts, with the reason being that 30 # buckles more extensively when it gets wet and dries out.

I find that 15 # wrinkles just as much from practical experience, especially if it also gets wet. 30# is safer for the workers to walk on, especialy on a very hot summer day. It does not tear as easily.

I use 30 # exclusively, but, I also tarp up the torn off portion of the roof every single night, regardless of the forecast and to eliminate morning dew to condensate and permeate the materials.

After it is covered up by the new shingles, its primary purpose is no longer relevant. The exception being, that the wood deck sheathing or dimensional lumber can still leach out the saps, or pitch, which can in turn prematurely turn the areas affected on the bottom asphalt side brittle where it has made contact. That is my unique take on the subject, but a few others I have relayed this information to have wound up agreeing with me, after they studied the possibility.

There are 2 seperate styles of perimeter edge drip edge metals.

For gutter/eave edges, a 3" x 3" gutter apron metal should be used, which is pre-bent to facilitate a better installation on the bottom sloped section of roof decking.

For the gable/rake edges, a 90* bent metal with a 3/8" overhang should be used to cover up the top edge of the gable fascia boards or aluminum fascia cladding, so that moisture does not permeate the interior wood structures. The name in our parts for this metal edge flashing, is called either a D-edge, a T-edge, or just O.D.E., which stands for Overhanging Drip Edge metal flashing.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:35 PM   #4

Roofing

How is felt paper different from Shinglemate. GAF website claims shinglemate lays flatter and resists moisture.
atprocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 04:51 PM   #5

Roofing

One of the other Roofing Contractors on this Forum, Tinner, just made a post a few days ago on another roofing contractor forum, about how he used all sorts of versions of the synthetic felts and they all wound up getting buckled or wrinkled. He was switching to a different brand, called Dens Deck or Dens Armour, but I do not know about that product.

As I stated before, the only time that felt is "Extremely" critical, is during the period of time after the old shingles are torn off and prior to the new shingles being installed.

There may be some differnces of opinion in this matter though and I am open to hearing them as well.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote