Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #1

Share |

Roofing

I have a spot in my ceiling, but the shingles look ok above the spot. How do I find the leak?

modemjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:45 AM   #2

Roofing

Look for stain spots in the underside of the sheathing up in the attic.
Is there a sewer vent in that area? If so get on the roof and see if the rubber boot around the stack is rotted out.
They make a simple rubber ring that just slides down over the pipe to reseal it, no tools needed.

Old 09-10-2013, 01:00 PM   #3

Roofing

When did you notice and how old do you think it is? Has it grown or changed shape any? Could it have been there for awhile and you just now saw it? Sometimes stains on the ceiling are evidence there is an active leak. Sometimes they are evidence that there was one in the past that got fixed.

Consider throwing up pics of the roof line on that side of the house. People can tell you whether there is anything there worth a closer look... bad gutters, lack of shingle overhang, lack of drip edge, any other flashing or install issues that might allow water to get in.

Sometimes if a gutter is worn or installed wrong water will get between it and the fascia and go under the shingles. Other common penetrations include rubber boots around vent pipes, chimney flashing, and valleys.

Other potential culprits can be poorly insulated AC ducts above the leak area, water problems in the bathroom, or leaking pipes. If you are on the highest floor you need to check the roof line and the attic. If you are on a lower floor you should check 2nd floor bathrooms to make sure the caulk and grout is in tact and look at roofing areas nearest the leak. If you can't find a culprit then it is simething within the ceiling that you'll only find by cutting drywall out. Before I did this I would probably mark the spot and be reasonably certain it was changing or expanding before I got the saw and sledge hammer out. Water can work its way into a structure then travel along beams or joists well into the house before dripping down to places where you see it. Do not assume that the problem has to be on the roof area right above that section of ceiling.

Last edited by eharri3; 09-10-2013 at 01:29 PM.
eharri3 is offline   Reply With Quote