Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 08:52 PM   #16
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 48
Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Default

Roofing


If you don't know IKO is an inferior shingle then I question your opinion..

Omegaroofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:11 AM   #17
Residential Roofer
 
Slyfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Struthers, Ohio
Posts: 803
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Roofing


Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegaroofer View Post
If you don't know IKO is an inferior shingle then I question your opinion..
Inferior to who?
Name the shingle manufacturer who hasn't had material failures.
Name the manufacturer who hasn't had law suits brought against them.
Name the manufacturer who hasn't had to replace/reform regional rep's because they failed to deal with contractors or home owners properly during claim issues.
__________________
God Family Country Work Play
Facebook <> Twitter
Slyfox Exteriors Co.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 06:33 AM   #18
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 48
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Roofing


Look, assuming all shingles are the same is ridiculous... There are some shingles out there that are even less quality..
Omegaroofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 07:21 AM   #19
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 138
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Roofing


Like contractors always say, you choose the lowest bid, you get what you pay for. Same goes with shingles, IKO are dirt cheap for a reason.
bcdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:25 AM   #20
Residential Roofer
 
Slyfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Struthers, Ohio
Posts: 803
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Roofing


Quote:
Originally Posted by bcdemon View Post
Like contractors always say, you choose the lowest bid, you get what you pay for. Same goes with shingles, IKO are dirt cheap for a reason.
I pay the same for CT as IKO here in my area, what's that mean?

Edited to further clarify my comment.
There's a window/doors/siding supply house in Boardman, Ohio who sales only CT shingles.
They keep minimal amounts in stock, maybe hundreds of squares at a time.
A few years ago I was at the store to pick up some sky lights for a GC and just being curios because i hadn't been there in many years, I asked about shingle prices and that's when I found out they only carry CT and they were selling Land Marks (standard) at $78.00 per square.

At the shingle supplier I use probably better then 80% of the time the exact same shingle was being sold at $68.00 per square.
Why?
Because one purchases and stocks them in the hundreds of squares and the other purchases and stocks them in the thousands of squares.
The one stocking in the higher volume pays less therefore can sale for less.

As far as the contractor who gives the highest bid being the best contractor to hire, that's not only not always the case but the odds of the highest bidder being the scam/hack are the same as the lowest bidder being the scam/hack.
You/Home Owners/Business or Property Owners should be deciding who they hire based on the contractors proven performance history, ties to the community, recently completed work in your immediate area, etc., etc.
The cheapest bid is not always the best deal, but neither is the highest.
__________________
God Family Country Work Play
Facebook <> Twitter
Slyfox Exteriors Co.

Last edited by Slyfox; 10-08-2011 at 07:57 AM.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:29 AM   #21
Residential Roofer
 
Slyfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Struthers, Ohio
Posts: 803
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Roofing


Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegaroofer View Post
Look, assuming all shingles are the same is ridiculous... There are some shingles out there that are even less quality..
Down load the spec sheets on the shingles manufactured/sold in your area and compare them.
They all meet Federal spec's, regulations.
Some brands will exceed spec's in certain portions such as self sealers, strength of matting, etc., but only meet it in others.
__________________
God Family Country Work Play
Facebook <> Twitter
Slyfox Exteriors Co.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:33 AM   #22
Residential Roofer
 
Slyfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Struthers, Ohio
Posts: 803
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Roofing


Just for the record, I'm not a GAF, Tamko, Certainteed, Owens Corning, IKO, Atlas, Etc., contractor.
My statement is non-bias.
I didn't even mention my personal preference.
__________________
God Family Country Work Play
Facebook <> Twitter
Slyfox Exteriors Co.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 07:49 AM   #23
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 138
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Roofing


Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
I pay the same for CT as IKO here in my area, what's that mean?
That means that shingle pricing in your area is different than mine. Here IKO are $2 cheaper than Landmarks.
bcdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 08:00 AM   #24
Member
 
ParagonEx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Milwaukee, WI
Posts: 249
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Roofing


Quote:
Originally Posted by bcdemon View Post
That means that shingle pricing in your area is different than mine. Here IKO are $2 cheaper than Landmarks.
They are $7 a square cheaper here.

To say that all shingles have the same quality is like comparing a KIA to a Bentley.

While I do agree the installation is the most important thing, you can have the same guy install two different brands on the same house and I bet you one does outlast the other.
ParagonEx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ParagonEx For This Useful Post:
MJW (10-08-2011)
Old 10-08-2011, 08:49 AM   #25
Residential Roofer
 
Slyfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Struthers, Ohio
Posts: 803
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Roofing


Quote:
Originally Posted by ParagonEx View Post
They are $7 a square cheaper here.

To say that all shingles have the same quality is like comparing a KIA to a Bentley.

While I do agree the installation is the most important thing, you can have the same guy install two different brands on the same house and I bet you one does outlast the other.
I'm not saying all cars are Bentley, I'm saying just because my wives Malibu (which she purchased off the lot with no extra's) may not be as high a quality as a Bentley, doe's not make her Malibu junk, it's simply not as nice as a loaded Bentley.

With the shingles, (minus material failure, which has and will again happened in all manufacturers) IKO's hold up as well as Ct, as well as GAF, as well as Tamko, as well as Atlas, etc, etc.

It's great that CT didn't sale any of their defected shingles (they sold for 2 1/2 decades) in your area, but that doe's not exclude the ones that were sold in my area and others.
CT eliminated the defect problems and so did IKO, now in 10, 20, 30 years from now we will see if they corrected the issues properly.

If you come down to Youngstown, Ohio and cruise around with me I can show you 20 too 30 plus year old Timberline, Heritage, Land Mark and Duration still intact and holding out the weather right now.
I don't remember Cambridge and Pennicle from back when I first started roofing, but I can show you roofs with both of them that are 10 too 20 years old and still intact.

I have never been employed by a contractor who only offered any single brand or any single manufacturer and that's the way I have always operated since I went self employed in 94', so i have first hand experience installing numerous brands.
__________________
God Family Country Work Play
Facebook <> Twitter
Slyfox Exteriors Co.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 01:25 PM   #26
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 48
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Roofing


IKO are 10 to 15 less a square here... and trust me it isn't because of low stock it is the opposite. I would simplify the shingle differences in weight and quality of glue.. Let alone I have done many services on all kinds of shingles. Now a lot of construction companies install IKO for there low cost.. period.. With the extreme price hikes of the last couple years everyone is trying to maintain understandable estimating and cost quotes. In other words IKO comes in at the cost we are use to paying a couple years ago.. Also people are going with the lowest bids nowadays not the middle, or especially the highest. Most quotes that come in lower than mine I am finding myself explaining that "I could also do it for that price with an IKO shingle", speech. Even with the influx of the IKO laminated shingle, most companies DO NOT install the three-tab shingles. I will tell you from my experience IKO shingles dry out quicker and the glue isnt as good. I have seen 3 year old three-tab roofs not seal back down. I have seen 3 year old IKO architects be as stiff as a 10-year old architect that I am used too.. So obviously I am biased because of my experiences and preferences, but that is exactly what I am simply trying to get a across. Also with all the IKO roofs going up at least there will be a quicker turnover rate on roofs..
Omegaroofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 06:30 AM   #27
Residential Roofer
 
Slyfox's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Struthers, Ohio
Posts: 803
Rewards Points: 0
Default

Roofing


Quote:
Originally Posted by Omegaroofer View Post
IKO are 10 to 15 less a square here... and trust me it isn't because of low stock it is the opposite. I would simplify the shingle differences in weight and quality of glue.. Let alone I have done many services on all kinds of shingles. Now a lot of construction companies install IKO for there low cost.. period.. With the extreme price hikes of the last couple years everyone is trying to maintain understandable estimating and cost quotes. In other words IKO comes in at the cost we are use to paying a couple years ago.. Also people are going with the lowest bids nowadays not the middle, or especially the highest. Most quotes that come in lower than mine I am finding myself explaining that "I could also do it for that price with an IKO shingle", speech. Even with the influx of the IKO laminated shingle, most companies DO NOT install the three-tab shingles. I will tell you from my experience IKO shingles dry out quicker and the glue isnt as good. I have seen 3 year old three-tab roofs not seal back down. I have seen 3 year old IKO architects be as stiff as a 10-year old architect that I am used too.. So obviously I am biased because of my experiences and preferences, but that is exactly what I am simply trying to get a across. Also with all the IKO roofs going up at least there will be a quicker turnover rate on roofs..
I understand what your saying but your personal experience and opinion is just that, it doe's not make it factual information, especially in a forum in which people from many regions different then yours are reading what you have to say.

If I posted my personal opinion/experience of the number one worse shingle in my area as far as price and longevity issues MJW would want to reach through the computer screen and smack me in the head, because it's the shingle He stands loyal to and prefers over all others.
That's why when ever I bring up the issues with that certain manufacturer I always mention the fact that they corrected their issues.
No one seems to want to except that about IKO.

Just like GAF being in the news now for one of their plants supplying shingles that appear to be below par on quality, that don't mean GAF shingles are below par, just those from that plant are.

BTW, the future of shingles is less weight because of less asphalt and more poly's.

__________________
God Family Country Work Play
Facebook <> Twitter
Slyfox Exteriors Co.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Choosing The "Right" Roofing Contractor, How To Evaluate Who Is Right! Ed the Roofer Roofing/Siding 27 04-25-2013 05:10 AM
Roofing Material History Roofmaster417 Roofing/Siding 4 09-08-2011 04:49 PM
Metal roofing questions Axhammer Roofing/Siding 17 08-10-2010 09:10 AM
Multiple Roofing issues on my home. *HELP!* 2bsure Roofing/Siding 4 12-16-2009 09:29 PM
Roll Roofing Edge Leak toolboxone Roofing/Siding 5 10-07-2009 06:09 AM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.