Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-02-2011, 05:50 PM   #1

Share |

Roofing

If you are sheeting a roof, is it better, and if so why, to remove the old shingles first or can you just re-sheet it and then tar paper and shingle it? Pros and Cons please.

Avondale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:21 PM   #2

Roofing

I would do a complete tear off.

To add your decking, then your felt then shingles....the double weight alone would give me pause. Another reason for the tear off is there is give in the shingles...so going over them will not give you a good solid base ( deck).

Also what's to say there is anything wrong with the decking that's there. You might not even have to put up new decking...saving money is always good.

Depending on how bad the shingles are on there now and how many layers there are you might have to replace the underlay anyway and again to go over already compromised decking.....not good at all.

Last edited by harleychik66; 07-02-2011 at 08:29 PM.
harleychik66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 03:47 PM   #3

Roofing

Definitely tear off, much better in long run. One, too much weight on roof can compromise rafters and cause hem to begin to sag and over time see a sway in the roof. 2, it will make it easier to keep up with rafters when nailing down new sheeting
roofie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 10:58 AM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Roofing

Install plywood over existing shingles? Are you serious?

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:43 PM   #5
Learning by Doing

Roofing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy
Install plywood over existing shingles? Are you serious?
OP probably is serious. This is why we're here: to disabuse the general public of wildly wrong notions by educating them.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:11 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Roofing

So, Leah, in other words, what you are saying is: Common sense aint so common?

The point I was trying to make is quite simply this: Avondale, your question is so outlandish it doesn't deserve a valid response.

There. better?

I could go in depth, talk about weight, talk about ice shield, talk about ventilation, talk about flashing, talk about how to choose a quality shingle, etc... but why? I could talk about the pros, being only 1; cheap. I could talk about the cons, being numerous. But I thought my original reply summed that all up into one nice neat package.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 06:59 PM   #7
Learning by Doing

Roofing

Grumpy: I'm getting more cynical day-by-day.... But the stupidity of others rarely ceases to amaze me. I find the 'friend of a friend' is the major culprit in perpetrating awful advice, but anything on TLC, Discovery, or other 'home improvement' TV show.