Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-24-2011, 02:05 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Roofing 101

I've learned a lot over the last few years about roofing, unfortunately becausse I got burnt. What the 'last' contractor said, you should have had a roof ridge vent installed (explained what that was), but in my little blonde head thought, "shouldn't I have something at the bottom (vents) to push the cold air up and through the baffels I installed to exit out of the roof vent he wants to install? Yes, I said to myself. However, I have a CapCod, no soffits, I tried to researach "venting with no soffits" but they don't show 'pictures' of the products so I can see what type of product they are trying to sell. I tried looking on line, they all say you need soffits vents and roof ridge vents to properly keep the area functioning properly. Now, is there anyone out there who can suggest the "better" "Lower" roof installation of vents, thata would need to be cut into the roof, through the decking which would allow the air flow that I need so it would work properly? I've met with 17 roofing contractors, each gave me a bla bla bla and I need to do this... but when it is all said and done, this is MY asset and MY roof and I want it to work properly and not have some guy install 12 circular wind turbines at the lower end of my roof because he doesn't know any better. And, so the product doesn't leak would be nice.
Any knowledgalbe help would be appreciated.
thank you
leeeeeeo@aol.com

Diamonds07407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:57 PM   #2
Shut in w/o Home

Rewards Points: 500

Roofing 101

As you've figured out, you need some sort of inlet for your ridge vent or other exhaust to work at full performance. If there's no soffit to vent, then vented drip edge (http://www.airvent.com/pdf/literatur...eSellsheet.pdf), low roof vents (http://www.cor-a-vent.com/in-vent.cfm) (http://www.dciproducts.com/html/smartvent.htm), or frieze vents (http://www.cor-a-vent.com/s400.cfm) are possible options. Also, low mounted turtle vents or dormer vents (http://www.grantlogancopper.com/dormers) might also be an option.

seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:52 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

Roofing 101

This is what I have been using for the past 10 years in those situations exactly like yours.

http://www.dciproducts.com/html/smartvent.htm

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

Roofing 101

You met with 17 roofing contractors?

WTF?!

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:22 AM   #5
RFN-4A-LVN

Roofing 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
You met with 17 roofing contractors?

WTF?!
I thought the norm was 15,,,,,Hahahahahaaha,,,,,,,,,,,,major time wasting IMO,,,,I have to admit,,,a local contractor installed a couple turbines about 4' off the gutterline on a home here in Springfield and everytime I drive by I laugh my a** off.I would like to thank him for bringing joy to my days.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 05-03-2011 at 11:31 AM.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 02:09 PM   #6
Shut in w/o Home

Roofing 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by styleroofingva View Post
Before choosing a (LINK REMOVED) for your home, it's always a good idea to compare prices and services in your area. If you're unsure or want further recommendations, check out what people are saying online about a (LINK REMOVED). If you still have questions shoot them a message. I'm sure they'd be more then happy to give you their honest opinion. If you still want to do-it-yourself, at least consult with one in your area before making any permanent changes. They'll be able to give you the best advice on how to make these repairs to your home.
Kinda loading one side of the roof a little heavy there, aren't you?
Attached Thumbnails
Roofing 101-style.jpg  
Old 05-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #7
RFN-4A-LVN

Roofing 101

I moved the post and reposted under safety.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 05-03-2011 at 11:48 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roofmaster417 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (05-03-2011)
Old 05-03-2011, 05:23 PM   #8
Shut in w/o Home

Roofing 101

Geeeezzzz,I seen something like that on 3 occasions ALL ending VERY badly.

I got that picture off of his homepage. Looks like he got banned from this forum since his posts just disappeared.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:59 PM   #9
RFN-4A-LVN

Roofing 101

I moved the post and reposted under Safety

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 05-03-2011 at 11:46 PM.

Tags
ridge vents, roof, shingles, soffit vents, vent