Roofer Switched Materials On Me: Wood Vs Metal On Ridge Beam - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-19-2011, 01:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Roofer switched materials on me: wood vs metal on ridge beam

I'm getting a new roof installed on my house. I opted for the best materials on the entire job:

- concrete tiles
- polyfoam adhesive to set the tiles
- 170 mil modified bitumen
- 2 ply's in valleys,
- new skylight
- new roof vents
- metal ridge flashing to secure the ridge caps

The roof is nearly complete, with the entire installation done. A few tiles need to be replaced due to breakage during the pull test, followed by the final inspection and then final payment.

BUT, it just came to my attention that while the roofers were installing the tiles (I was out of the country at the time), they used pressure treated 2x4 wood to attach the ridge tiles instead of the metal ridge beams as specified specified in our contract.

How inferior of a product is the 2x4 vs the metal beam? I wanted the best of the best on this job, and didn't nickle and dime the roofer whatsoever. I'm very upset at this point and plan on requesting them to redo the ridge tile installation with the agreed upon material. But for my knowledge during discussions, how inferior is the wood to the metal?

Advertisement

Nikog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
Low Slope Roofing

Rewards Points: 1,056

Quote:
- metal ridge flashing to secure the ridge caps
Quote:
How inferior of a product is the 2x4 vs the metal beam? I wanted the best of the best on this job, and didn't nickle and dime the roofer whatsoever. I'm very upset at this point and plan on requesting them to redo the ridge tile installation with the agreed upon material. But for my knowledge during discussions, how inferior is the wood to the metal?
A 2x4 is not a flashing. The 2x4 is for that attachment of the tiles. A metal ridge flashing would be to close off or hide the 2x4. I would clear it up with the roofer first.

Advertisement

1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:43 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1985gt View Post
A 2x4 is not a flashing. The 2x4 is for that attachment of the tiles. A metal ridge flashing would be to close off or hide the 2x4. I would clear it up with the roofer first.
Thanks for the reply. I understand that the 2x4 is for attachment of the tiles. During the roofer's sales pitch to me, they stated that they would use metal beams to install the ridge tiles, not 2x4's, as the metal is superior (won't warp over time).

Based on my witnesses who saw the tile installation, no metal beams were used for the attachment of the ridge cap tiles. The tiles were attached directly to the 2x4.
Nikog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 08:48 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,306

There should not be any issues with warpage of the installed 2x4s in this application if they are installed properly and the water details are correct.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2011, 01:29 PM   #5

I wouldnt worry about warping either. Wood is the standard product for roofing construction. I would however get what you paid for. If it is in the contract then it should be on your home. I would suspect it is more likely a mistake than anything intentional though.
crumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 01:32 PM   #6
Low Slope Roofing

Rewards Points: 1,056

I don't think I've ever seen steel used instead of wood for that. Granted I do not deal with concrete tiles or see them much but I fail to see the point with metal. All of the racking is wood anyway. If the install is good it will be fine.
1985gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:10 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 75

Make sure you are reimbursed for the cost difference and enjoy your new roof.
The use of the 2x4 is not a problem.
chb70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:22 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,608

yes talk to your contractor about this... the 2x4 should be fine ..maybe a credit is in order if that was part of the contract.....remember you don't want a patch job on a new roof....just my thougth...

Advertisement

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote