Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-30-2010, 09:08 AM   #1

Share |

Roofed Over

I have a metal seam roof and was looking at puting an epdm roof on and the contractor says that he would bend the seams over and out the epdm on top. I think this would be the root of future problems. Is this a common practice or is this just a matter of be lazy?

don2820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
Shut in w/o Home

Roofed Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by don2820 View Post
I have a metal seam roof and was looking at puting an epdm roof on and the contractor says that he would bend the seams over and out the epdm on top. I think this would be the root of future problems. Is this a common practice or is this just a matter of be lazy?
Sounds like a bad idea to me. Is he proposing to use recovery board or just install the epdm on the metal?

seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:07 PM   #3
Remodeling Contractor

Roofed Over

I'm a contractor. A good one. If someone told me they were going to bend the seams of a standing seam roof over and then lay a rubber roof over that I would follow them around all day laughing and pointing at them. Do not let this guy near your house. You will save yourself a lot of heartache if you just light your money on fire instead. Not trying to be an a**, I just want to stress how bad of an idea this is.
eisert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:55 AM   #4
Shut in w/o Home

Roofed Over

Quote:
Originally Posted by eisert View Post
I'm a contractor. A good one. If someone told me they were going to bend the seams of a standing seam roof over and then lay a rubber roof over that I would follow them around all day laughing and pointing at them. Do not let this guy near your house. You will save yourself a lot of heartache if you just light your money on fire instead. Not trying to be an a**, I just want to stress how bad of an idea this is.
I'm a good contractor as well. In fact, I bet you'd be hard pressed to find a contractor that claims to be a "bad" contractor. You are correct that laying epdm right on metal with "beat down" seams is not acceptable. But there are ways to do this and reasons to as well. Without more info, it's hard to judge or advise here.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote