Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-27-2011, 08:11 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Roof vents

Hello all. First time poster....please be gentle.

Looking for opinions on roof ventilation. I have an attic space over the back half of my house that is accessible via a hatch on the second floor of the front half. It gets REALLY hot during the summers and I'm concerned about some of the items I keep in there. It's too much of a bonus not to have this space so I'd like to ventilate it better, in particular for the summer.

The space is 25x18. There are continuous soffit vents under the eaves and only a 12inx12in gable vent at the far end away from the house. I plan on sealing around the hatch so air doesn't bleed into the house. I'm assuming putting some more ventilation near the ridge may help, so I'm looking for input on......

Will regular passive slant vents help somewhat?
Would a ridge vent be better?
Is a ridge vent something I could do myself without any major catastrophies? ie.-causing leaks, etc.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dr.Fugazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 06:42 AM   #2
Shut in w/o Home

Rewards Points: 500

Roof vents

Will regular passive slant vents help somewhat?
Would a ridge vent be better?
Is a ridge vent something I could do myself without any major catastrophies? ie.-causing leaks, etc.

Either slant vents or ridge vent should help. Cosmetics would dictate which based on equal output.

To install ridge vent, you'd have to remove the ridge caps and cut back any of the tops of the shingles within several inches of the ridge. You'd then have to cut back the sheathing on either side, install the vent and re-install the ridge caps.

To install the slant backs, you'd need to remove several shingles for each unit. Cut your hole, install the vent and cut and re-install the shingles.

seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 12:50 PM   #3
RFN-4A-LVN

Rewards Points: 500

Roof vents

A continous soffit and RidgeVent IMO give you the maximum ventilation.Obviously slant back/turtle vents work too.I feel when applied according to manufacture specs RidgeVent with functionable soffit will out perform the vent and soffit combination.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 03-28-2011 at 12:51 PM. Reason: .reboog a ma I
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:09 PM   #4

Roof vents

Thanks everyone for your input.

I think I could handle the slant vents with no problem myself. Question is....is it a bad idea to try to do a ridge vent myself? Is there a big potential to cause leaks?
Old 03-28-2011, 07:56 PM   #5

Roof vents

Also 2 quick thoughts........

Any thoughts on Cobra, Cobra 3, AirVent, etc.?

And if I do go with slant vents, leyward or windward side? Does it make a difference. The ones installed are on what is generally the leyward side for my location. Should I assume to roofers prior put them on that side for a reason and do the same?