Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-21-2008, 07:57 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Roof Vents

I will be putting a new roof on my house this weekend. My house is a L shaped 3 step ranch. I need to add more roof vents. Because of the shape of the roof I cannot use a ridge vent. I was wondering if it is ok to place the roof vents on opposite sides of the same ridge (north and south side of the same ridge) or will that cause a short circuit. Or, am I better off following the ridge and keeping the vents on 1 side of it.

Thanks
Jim

j_fricke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 12:27 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Roof Vents

Why can't you utilize the ridge vents?

Are the roofs at different levels? If so, are the attic sections connected to each other?

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2008, 09:15 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Roof Vents

I don't think I can utilize the ridge vents because I don't have enough ridge length. My ridge lengths are 3ft, 4ft, 22ft, 6ft, 9ft, 6ft, 2ft, 5ft, and 2ft.
Yes the roofs are at 2 levels, and yes the attic is all connected it's just at 2 different levels about 3ft difference. The total attic floor space is 2050 sq.ft plus a 2ft per side overhang.
This is what my house looks like, my roof pitch is 4/12 though http://frankfort-illinois.olx.com/fr...ch-iid-9479227

Last edited by j_fricke; 05-21-2008 at 09:37 PM.
j_fricke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 12:07 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

Roof Vents

You have 59 feet of ridge, which is pretty substantial, but did those measurements include the garage ridge?

Unless the garage attic space is closed off with a ceiling and connected to the main house attic spaces, you should not count it, unless it is a heated garage.

A 3 foot elevation variane is acceptable, according to Air Vent, where at that close height difference, it will not short-circuit the ventilation. I know of no studies that support that premise, except for the verbage from Air Vents technical manuals and Certainteeds also, since they used to own the Air Vent subsidiarry.

Owens Corning has a ridge vent product that is also specified to be used as a Hip Vent, which I have used with success on several nearly impossible to ventilate properly situations.

I posted a link to photos on this forum of Hip Vent applications and showinf the effectiveness after a substantial snowfall, where the Hips and Ridges were cleanly melted off, proving the heat escape occurring from them.

Also, a PAV could be a consideration. But, the proper amount of Intake Ventilation is even more crucial for that to operate without pulling air out of the interior conditioned living quarters.

Ed
Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote