DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Roof venting issue-question

907 views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Windows on Wash 
#1 ·
My shake roof was replaced with sheating and comp shingles. The gable end vents were left in place. No other venting. Snow/ice are not an issue. Humidity is never a problem. Heat is. I live in a dry coastal climate. My garage itself is like a sauna in the summer. The attic storage space is unbearable.

The peak is arranged on the garage so that it forms a valley on one side. I could only put soffet vents on the other side and then only with a hole hog. It would be a pain, running into nails would be a problem.

Since I can no do it right to poor design of the roof, I was thinking that I could put a copula or section of ridge vent in the center and get improved flow from gable end vents. The flow would go in the ridge vents then up and out the coupla. I know it is far from ideal but would it help much?

Thanks,

Scot

#5 · (Edited)
http://www.trulia.com/property/3161712437-8376-Vierra-Knolls-Dr-Prunedale-CA-93907

Zillow has better pictures but the link won't work.

It is off the market.

The roof is trusses, no ridge pole. I would remove part of the strapping under the OSB to make a gap for a continious ridge vent. I was thinking of venting only the middle third to encourage some flow from the gabel vents to the middle.

Or a coupola??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.