Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-05-2013, 12:18 PM   #1
atm

Share |

Roof Ventillation Question

Has anyone used the Maximum Ventilation model #301?
It is suppose to replace the regular roof venting (i.e. the square vents that come with builder roof). I currently have a 5 roof vents and thinking of closing the 5 and replaced with 1 Maximum Ventilation #301.
I'm looking to see if there are any downside or disadvantage to using the Maximum Ventilation to replace 5 regular roof vents.

Thank you.

atm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
Roofmaster

Well you dont say where your home is, what type of roof you have, or what the slope of your roof is, so I guess we can only give you a generic answer.

Putting in an exhaust, without an intake is pretty much worthless. I just looked at the vent you are looking at, and there is no venturi effect, so I would suspect that their claims are questionable, as are most ventilation claims

The best way to add ventilation is to have continuous eaves ventilation and a good continuous ridge vent like Air Vent II. With this arrangement, you have convection working for you with an intake, and an exhaust. Obviously, the more slope you have, the better convection works. The lighter colored your roof is, the cooler your attic will be.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:30 PM   #3
atm

Thanks for your response.

Location is Toronto, Canada. I don't know what the slope is but the attic area is around 1000 sq ft. the roof currently has 5 of the square ventillators and there are soffit on the outside perimeter to provide air flow. I am going to replace the shingles and trying to decide what to do with the vents.

A roofer suggested that I should install the Maximum ventillator #301 to replace 3 regular square vents. I am not sure if I should stick to the original 5 square vents or install the #301 ventillator to replace 3 vents and keep the other two.

Any advice?
atm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 03:28 PM   #4

If you have enough ridge, get ridge vents.
If your house has lots of hips and is very cut up, it might be best to stick with standards vents, I like airvent airhawks, in steel to keep the wildlife out.
Those maximum ventilators are expensive, and I cant see how they ventilate as well as they claim.
PatChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:28 PM   #5
Roofmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by atm View Post
Thanks for your response.

Location is Toronto, Canada. I don't know what the slope is but the attic area is around 1000 sq ft. the roof currently has 5 of the square ventillators and there are soffit on the outside perimeter to provide air flow. I am going to replace the shingles and trying to decide what to do with the vents.

A roofer suggested that I should install the Maximum ventillator #301 to replace 3 regular square vents. I am not sure if I should stick to the original 5 square vents or install the #301 ventillator to replace 3 vents and keep the other two.

Any advice?
Did you read and comprehend my first response? Its right there in paragraph 3, really, it is.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #6
Doing This Way Too Long

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
Did you read and comprehend my first response? Its right there in paragraph 3, really, it is.
A larger red font might have gotten your displeasure in the OP across a little more forcefully.

Lighten up

OldNBroken is offline   Reply With Quote