Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2011, 01:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Roof ventilation and Roof Choices

I'm in the process of replacing my roof. I would like to know the advantages of using ridge vents as opposed to turbines and replacing the shingles with a 25 year roof vs. a 30 year roof. Should the felt decking be 15# or 30#?

Cammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 04:16 PM   #2
Shut in w/o Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cammie View Post
I'm in the process of replacing my roof. I would like to know the advantages of using ridge vents as opposed to turbines and replacing the shingles with a 25 year roof vs. a 30 year roof. Should the felt decking be 15# or 30#?
I prefer ridge vents since there are no moving parts assuming you have adequate ridge. We probably replace 8-10 broken turbines a year. That being said, there are a few instances where I would use a turbine.

25yr vs 30yr: How much price difference and how long are you planning to stay in the house? Are you in a hail or tornado belt?

If the roofers cover what they tore off and don't leave it exposed over night, #15 is fine. If the roof could see some rain during re-roofing, I'd go with #30. There's not a great deal of price difference in the big picture.

seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 05:02 PM   #3

I am not a roofer, but had a bad roof installed by a roofer in NJ and haveeducated myself about everything and will gladly pass it along to you:
1. Check their references, check the BBB, check with Consumer Affairs (if you have one in your state to find out about complaints regarding the contractor you want to hire.
2. GAF now uses 'life time' warranty on their shingles. If you want a shingle with a 25 vs 30, how long do you plan on staying in that house o are you moving in 10 yrs?
3. When I re did my 2nd floor, the "old time" method was to stuff the insullation in every nook and cranny. I don't have soffits on my home, but thinking I should intall the baffels that would give some type of air flow under the new insullation. What I wasn't told, is that "I should have installed a ridge vent - without it, the baffles do no good, except to keep moisture away from the roof decking. You need to get the "heat" out of their so install a ridge vent.
4. Ridge Vents - Most people carry COBRA one contractor today told me he favors AIR VENT II, he said they did test, by placing 1/2 COBRA AND 1/2 AIR VENT along the ridge and filled the building with smoke, THE 1/2 with the AIR VENT side was bellowing out smoke, where the COBRA side trickled out. To me that would me there was more air flow with the AIR VENT? no? Anyway, you may want to check the products out. Also, you need to be aware that CA has a different code because of fires and that the northern sector of the USA deals with more snow AND some of the ridge vents have had snow blowig into your attic, etc., check it out don't take the contractors words.
Your home is your biggest asset, don't let any contract blow smoke up your nose.
In addition,the back 1/2 of my garage is a low sloping roof, I was told 2/12 and another said just under 2/12, which means they want to install low sloping rolled roofing materials, which DO NOT LAST as long as the regular singles and it is ugly as heck. Never mind that, I spoke to GAF tech and they said I can use their deminsional shingles on a low sloping roof, as long as I ice and water sheld the entire roof, add a ridge vent and put the ice/water up the side of the house to ensure a water tight barrier.
Oh and don't forget to add the step flashing for extra precaution.
GAF tech also said you can double up on the 15lb felt or add the 30lb felt, but your FLASHING along the intersecting points is what will preven the water from going under the shingles. Once the felt gets wet, if it gets wet, it will act like a sponge and wic all the water across the roof. Anther person stated that if you put i/w on and then shingles, it will be impossible to get the shingles off, so they suggested putting 15lb felt over the i/w. Why would you want to take off your shingles? Anyway, that is what I've learned.
Again, I am not a roofer, this is what I've learned over the years and will fight this all the way in court as I paid for a water-tight roof, not one that leaks!

Last edited by Diamonds07407; 04-20-2011 at 05:05 PM.
Diamonds07407 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 06:34 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to Grumpy Send a message via MSN to Grumpy Send a message via Yahoo to Grumpy

First off attic ventilation is a science that is unique to the architecture of each building. There are no one size fits all ventilation solutions and I look at each job seperately to determine the proper exhaust. For example I seldom use rigge vent on hip style roofs and wouldn't ever use ridge vent on a roof with no intake. I'll need a little more information about the style and size of your roof to make a recomendation. A picture would help.

This year the warranty's were upgraded so welcome to a lifetime roof I don't expect either to last 25 years and the reasons why were posted on a sister site to this forum just a few hours ago... http://www.roofingtalk.com/f11/lifet...1196/#post8843

Here is something I wrong several years ago to help my customers choose a shingle... Choosing a Shingle Before the warrantys were upgraded the standard was a 30 year architectural such as a CertainTeed Landmark.

15# felt is minimum code requirement and we almost never use it. We have used 30# exclusively up until this year, and this year began using the Certainteed fiberglass reinforced felt paper. I don't want to do the minimum, if you want a good roof consider the 30 or reinforced, which as the same price. There are more considerations however, such as flashings. This'll give you a real good and quick spoiler on what you need to know about the roof and ask your roofer... Shingle Roofing also read Hire the Right contractor! I hope this helps and would be pleased to answer any more questions you may have.

Sometimes the savings that comes from doing it yourself can be blown away with one mistake.

The information found in this post is not to be considered legal advice. All information should be considered relative, not specific. Never attempt any repairs you are not comfortable with. Always maintain safety! The author of this post takes no responsibility for any losses that occur. Use at your own risk.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote