Roof Ventilation - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-25-2010, 09:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 1,018

Roof Ventilation

For those that have sealed their ridge vent after installing an attic fan, what do you do with heat trapped during the winter?

Is your attic fan wired such that you can bypass the thermostat and instead, have the fun running nonstop?

Also, I've read about the solar powered attic fans, and although nice, these fans do not run during the night time. I believe these fans only run when the sun is out, as the solar panels don't have reserve battery power to charge.

Advertisement

handy man88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 11:38 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

Roof Ventilation

Better Powered Attic Vents contain both a thermostat and also a humidistat, which then allows the fan to expel the internal humidity along with the related build up of compartmentalized heat retained.

Solar would stop working shortly after the sun's charge would be diminished as you surmised.

Also, they are not as efficient in there CFM ratings.

A quality Ridge Vent product, along with full balanced intake ventilation would have worked all year round.

Ed

Advertisement

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 05:16 PM   #3

Roof Ventilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
Better Powered Attic Vents contain both a thermostat and also a humidistat, which then allows the fan to expel the internal humidity along with the related build up of compartmentalized heat retained.
Yes, but these typically only run during the summer time. Are there fans that can be run year round that are wired as such?

Quote:
A quality Ridge Vent product, along with full balanced intake ventilation would have worked all year round.

Ed
What would be a quality ridge vent product for a hip roof?

I'm not sure anyone can deny that although natural convection worksl, attic fans generally move air faster.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:11 PM   #4

Roof Ventilation

Okay, now you mentioned it being a Hip Roof.

Shingle Vent II is the most popular high quality Ridge Vent, but their specifications to not allow for installation along the hips.

I believe Trim Line is one and Vent Sure is another with another from Mid-America I think if memory serves me right.

You still need an equal or greater amount of Intake Ventilation for proper flowage though, otherwise the Powered Attic Vents will just pull air from the nearest other exhaust portal.

Ed
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed the Roofer For This Useful Post:
handy man88 (05-28-2010)
Old 05-27-2010, 04:36 PM   #5

Roof Ventilation

Quote:
Okay, now you mentioned it being a Hip Roof.

Shingle Vent II is the most popular high quality Ridge Vent, but their specifications to not allow for installation along the hips.

I believe Trim Line is one and Vent Sure is another with another from Mid-America I think if memory serves me right.

You still need an equal or greater amount of Intake Ventilation for proper flowage though, otherwise the Powered Attic Vents will just pull air from the nearest other exhaust portal.

Ed
Since I have a hip roof, I pretty much have gutters and soffits all along the perimeter of the house except for right in front where the gable is.

Is a roofing company capable of determine the appropriate size for intake ventilation and resultant powered attic fan required?
Old 05-27-2010, 05:04 PM   #6

Roof Ventilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by handy man88 View Post
Since I have a hip roof, I pretty much have gutters and soffits all along the perimeter of the house except for right in front where the gable is.

Is a roofing company capable of determine the appropriate size for intake ventilation and resultant powered attic fan required?
Yes they can if they take the time to look up the manufactures specifications.

Intake Vent NFVA ratings are listed on Lomanco Ventilation and AirVent.com websites, or even to get a close approximation of the total square inches at least, since you will probably not know the brand used originally.

Ed
Old 05-27-2010, 11:59 PM   #7

Roof Ventilation

New ridge vent design for hip roofs:

http://www.airvent.com/professional/...hipridge.shtml
Old 05-28-2010, 12:48 PM   #8

Roof Ventilation

Thanks for that link to their new acceptance of that application.

Wow!!! Now they are going to have to get rid of all of their brochures that stated that venting on a hip roof is a bad idea, LOL.

Ed
Old 05-28-2010, 03:05 PM   #9

Roof Ventilation

Quote:
Thanks for that link to their new acceptance of that application.

Wow!!! Now they are going to have to get rid of all of their brochures that stated that venting on a hip roof is a bad idea, LOL.

Ed
What did their brochure say about "venting on a hip roof is a bad idea?"
Old 05-29-2010, 08:01 AM   #10
MJW

Rewards Points: 500

Roof Ventilation

Quote:
It's advertising. They didn't offer it, so it was "unacceptable" in their opinion.

In the pics, is that 3 tabs cut for ridge and Grip Rite brand nails. LOL

I see some rather tan hands on the workers and one light colored hand on the 'clean pants and loafers dude'.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 08:43 AM   #11

Roof Ventilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
It's advertising. They didn't offer it, so it was "unacceptable" in their opinion.

In the pics, is that 3 tabs cut for ridge and Grip Rite brand nails. LOL

I see some rather tan hands on the workers and one light colored hand on the 'clean pants and loafers dude'.
What is implied by that statement?
Old 05-29-2010, 09:17 AM   #12
MJW

Rewards Points: 500

Roof Ventilation

The ridge may be something I'm not familiar with, but usually "accessory" ridge is used with Laminates. Just struck me funny how the staging was for the pics of a nationally known company.

Most ridge vent comes with it's own nails.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 12:14 PM   #13

Roof Ventilation

Quote:
I see that they have eliminated the Hip Roof Brochure from their PDF's available, but it said that venting the Hip of o roof would short-circuit the ventilation system and also possibly allow weather infiltration.

But, that was before they had a product available to sell to meet their design criteria and satisfy a market desire for additional product exposure and profit.

Ed
Old 05-29-2010, 02:25 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 2,052

Roof Ventilation

Funny they used a picture with a double dormer vent that will short-circuit their soffit vents (which should be in every rafter bay), with all the 4-square houses with dormer windows (functioning or not) available.....

Be safe, Gary
Old 05-29-2010, 09:34 PM   #15

Roof Ventilation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBR in WA View Post
Funny they used a picture with a double dormer vent that will short-circuit their soffit vents (which should be in every rafter bay), with all the 4-square houses with dormer windows (functioning or not) available.....

Be safe, Gary
Wouldn't the "short circuit" theory be less of an issue since warm air rises anyway so any warm air below the dormer vent will rise up to the main ridge vent anyway?

Advertisement