DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

roof ventilation

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  PAHome 
#1 ·
I have a ventilation question. My attic is approx 1000sq feet. I have two gable vents that are approx 1 sq foot each. Now I understand that this is not enough ventilation and I have since put in two additional roofs vent. Now I have not noticed any difference and the ceiling is still warm. Should I close off the gable vents? My thoughs are that the cooler air is getting sucked in the the gables and not the soffit and out the roof vents in turn not ventilating the attic.

#2 ·
No venting statagy will ever make your attic comfortable. The main purpose is to release moisture and extreme heat. Heat rises so it will find a way out the roof or gable vents as the path of least resistance.

#3 ·
For the best advice we need your location in your profile, go to Quick links to edit.
In most cases you would have been far better off using a ridge vent not a roof or gable vent so the whole roof gets vented and none stays trapped in the rafter bays.
Any form of roof vent also needs an equal amount of soffit venting.
If not it would be like sucking on a straw with your finger over the tip.
Making sure there's enough insulation, making sure the soffits are not blocked with insulation play a big part in a total system.

Reactions: frankm1960
#4 ·
I can't find were to edit my profile. I live in Petawawa, Ontario.
I have a working soffit all the way around the house, the trouse baffles are clear of obstructions and working. I have about 12" of blown insulation. I am going to take the low profile vents off and will reinstall the maximum vents. I am just wondering if I should close off the gable vents as that would be the path of lease resistance and the air may not be getting sucked up through tue soffits.

#6 ·
http://www.airvent.com/homeowner/products/ridgeVents.shtml
Do not use the type that comes on a roll!
They just do not supply enough air flow.
Any box store or roofing supply will stock ridge vents.
And your right all the other vents you now have need to be blocked off or it will make all the soffit and ridge vents useless.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.