Roof Vent Cap Flashing??? Need Advice. - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-05-2008, 05:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Roof Vent Cap Flashing??? Need advice.

I am a newbie to this forum, I came home from my military deployment and found this flashing flopping around on my roof. I have searched these forums and as many installation instructions as I can find. I dont see anything that shows this type of flashing on any roof. I dont know why this strip was placed between the top two shingles on the roof. It appears that it can just be pulled out and discarded, but someone put it there for a reason.

The strip appears that it was only about 1 inch under the tile, and not held by much mastic or anything else. I can slide it back under, but some of it has wrinkled and is lifting some shingles. The top two shingles are adhered pretty good, and I was wondering if there is any point in this flashing in the first place? I live in the pacific northwest with a lot of rain and some snow every year. I dont have any leaks, but do not want to cause any either.

I appreciate any advice, budget is tight and I have to fix before I get underway again soon.

Thanks for your time
Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Roof Vent Cap Flashing??? Need advice.-roof-flashing-along-vent.jpg   Roof Vent Cap Flashing??? Need advice.-wrinkling-under-top-shingle.jpg   Roof Vent Cap Flashing??? Need advice.-flashing-close-up-only-1-inch-under-shingle.jpg  

Advertisement

revamped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:09 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Hello,

What you are seeing is a zinc strip. It is used to keep the moss from growing on your roof.
All you have to do is start at one end and tuck about 3/4 to 1" under the shingle and nail it. Move along pulling the strip tight, tucking it under the shingles as you go nailing it every 2 to 3 feet.

Hope this helps.

Keith

Advertisement

roofboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:01 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks Keith!
I knew it would be something simple, just didnt think it was that simple. I am assuming that since it is zinc, it should be replaced at some periodicity anyways huh?>

Thanks again, I will gently replace all of it soon.
Jim
revamped is offline   Reply With Quote