Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-02-2012, 12:44 AM   #1

Share |

Roof Valley Question

Hello Folks, first Post!

I am in the beginning stages of installing a Certainteed Presidential asphalt roof.

I am using 20" "W" valley metal in the valleys. My question involves how I "finish" the two valleys and make them waterproof when they meet at the sloping roof (the valleys are basically a dormer as in the photo).

I have already laid down a layer of Winterguard and have laid in one of the metal valley flashing and it is now extending past the top of the valley. In what shape do I cut the metal and how does it meet up with other valley metal to make a watertight seal.

Does this question make sense?

Thanks,
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
Roof Valley Question-dormer-gabled-lr.jpg  

wmarazita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 05:36 PM   #2

Roof Valley Question

well, it will be just as it appears-run the ice and water up the valley and cross the ridge and up 3' on the pitched side. This will be the last hope for any water which will get past the valley flashing-which it really should not. Run the valley flashing up and trim it level with the ridge and put ridge shingles over the ridge as it would be done normally. It will have some little gaps where the shingle will not exactly conform to the w flashing, but I will put a dab of cement in there to prohibit hornets from nesting in it.

RJM Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:22 PM   #3

Roof Valley Question

I personaly woud do a woven valley not an open valley. Way less prone to leaking.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
Bombastic Idiot

Roof Valley Question

I think a woven valley looks better too. 'Cept for mine, its over Felt valley, wide metal valley, roll roofing valley no leaks. But weaves around like a meandering stream. Lost course mid stream, got into the shallows, climbed the bank,almost ran aground in the shoals . Woven valley other side of ridge looks great, its the side you can't see from street. Snap chalk line. Heavy chalk line. Climb down and take a look ever once in a while, to see what you can't see from up close. use transparent shingle so you can see the line.
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 07:57 PM   #5

Roof Valley Question

how about a closed-cut valley? Is that done out there? Just shingle thru the valley-make sure you have 12" on either side then shingle over that on one side, snap a line and cut it. Here in illinois, we put ice and water down in all valleys and dont nail within 9" of the center. easy, looks good!
The Following User Says Thank You to RJM Build For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (09-03-2012)
Old 09-02-2012, 08:20 PM   #6

Roof Valley Question

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...658BAB&first=1

It's called a California cut.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #7

Roof Valley Question

yeah, but some people dont like California. I consider myself a bit of a bridge builder so I call it closed-cut so to not offend.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:46 PM   #8

Roof Valley Question

for the record, california is cool with me!
Old 09-02-2012, 10:16 PM   #9

Roof Valley Question

I'm not sure that Certainteed allows any valley except the metal valley which is detailed in their installation instructions. I don't mind the steel valley since that is what most of the roofs have here. Anyways, their instructions don't detail the trickiest part!

So, I have placed the Winterguard and ran it up past the valley. I was thinking of cutting the valley metal to meet at a bevel at the top of the ridge (as RJM build suggests) but it just seemed like there would be a gaping gap for water to spill through. As of now, I have run also the valley metal up past the ridge and hammered it down and bent it as best I could. There is coverage of that gap right now, but it sure seems like there ought to be a better solution.

Would some Winterguard stuck on top of it help? Can a sheet metal manufacture something that would work better? There must be a "best" method since this must be a common situation that many roofs have.

Thanks for any help!
Bill
Old 09-02-2012, 10:21 PM   #10

Roof Valley Question

hmmm yeah, thats right with those shingles you probably have to do an open metal valley. Yea, you have to put hip/ridge shingles over the top to prevent the gaping hole if I am to understand the question correctly and then I put a bit of sealant in the part under the ridge shingle.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #11

Roof Valley Question

http://www.askthebuilder.com/valley-...lashing-video/
Old 09-03-2012, 04:38 PM   #12
Pro Slate Roofer

Roof Valley Question

They just get locked together. The shingles on the main roof cover the scissor lock. I put a dab of caulk right at that spot.
Attached Thumbnails
Roof Valley Question-scissor-locking-valleys-2-.jpg   Roof Valley Question-scissor-locking-valleys.jpg   Roof Valley Question-scissor-locked-valley.jpg  
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tinner666 For This Useful Post:
mae-ling (09-04-2012)
Old 09-03-2012, 05:01 PM   #13

Roof Valley Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner666 View Post
They just get locked together. The shingles on the main roof cover the scissor lock. I put a dab of caulk right at that spot.

Oh, that is pretty! I will try that.
Thanks!
Old 09-03-2012, 09:04 PM   #14

Roof Valley Question

woohoo, that is nice, and with slate as well! Too bad you are not in Chi, I could send you some work. I dont have time to touch the high end stuff personally and I dont trust anyone I know enough to put my name on a job I didn't personally do so I just dont do it.