DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Roof Under Garage Deck

5K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  kwikfishron 
#1 ·
So I have a deck which is directly above a 1 car garage (thats leaking). The goal here is to remove the flooring of the deck, fix the roof and replace the deck floor. Then from there, tear down the walls of the garage and redo them one at a time.

However, I started removing the deck flooring today and found strips of light weight tin between each joist as the roof top.

Which has tons of rust holes letting water into the garage.

Underneath the tin is the insulation then the garage ceiling.

Ontop of all of that, the roof posts are not up to par as well.

So my issue is, I obviously can't do a torch down roof without raising the deck up a little and even with that I need some slope towards the gutter. Underdecking won't work with having a ceiling in the garage. So that leaves me towards the idea of getting a roll of EPDM but I'm still not sure how I'd create slope.

Any suggestions on how to put a roof under this deck will be greatly appreciated.

See less See more
#4 ·
Remove the deck. Install the longest lasting roofing system available. Re-install deck.

#5 · (Edited)
Remove the deck. Install the longest lasting roofing system available. Re-install deck.
There is really no other way but there might be some things that can be done to keep this from happing again. At least in our lifetime.

How is the deck attached?

How much use does the deck get?

Could you stand back and get a couple pictures of the whole structure?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.