Roof Transition Questions - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-28-2009, 08:10 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Roof Transition Questions

I'm replacing my (1894 Victorian) wrap-around front porch roof, framing and all. On the end, it abuts a vertical wall. There are two issues to address (photo):

The decking has about a 1:4 slope to the end, but also a 2-3 degree
slope into the wall.

There is a ledge that extends to the left which aligns with the roof on the
edge, but is about 2" higher than the roof at the wall.

Both the roof and the ledge will be covered with the same shingles. How should I finish out the transition?

A previous roofer laid the shingles over felt only, and put "L" flashing on top of the shingles (a situation of which I was unaware). This created a funnel, sending the water down the inside of the wall, rotting the bottom beam.

Upon discovering the topology, I rebuilt this section once before by adding a small ramp about 8" deep and 2" high at the wall (photo). This reversed the slope at the wall and was even with the top of the ledge. One final small triangle of plywood tied together my ramp and the ledge to the decking. I finished it out with felt, flashing, and shingles, and it worked.

I believe there is a more proper way to do this, however. The final roof will be installed in the next few weeks by a real roofer but I need to get something in place temporarily in the mean time. I plan to use felt and flashing, but hold off on shingles. I'd like my temporary fix to be incorporated into the final roof as much as possible.

Any suggestions?

Photo:
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=143166&l=106e813e15&id=1697462108

Advertisement

Last edited by smokinleroy; 11-28-2009 at 08:25 PM. Reason: Wrong link
smokinleroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 08:13 PM   #2

Ignore

Advertisement

Last edited by smokinleroy; 11-28-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:39 PM   #3
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,038

Forget the tapered stuff. Step flashing on the lower section and the wall is correct, countered by going onto the higher roof level on the lower, siding up above. Then shingle the l. side over the step flashings, and either a drip edge, or just overhang it 1 1/4"
The roof deck should have extended out even with the existing on the left.

Last edited by tinner666; 11-28-2009 at 10:25 PM.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 04:14 AM   #4

Thanks for your reply.

> The roof deck should have extended out even with the
> existing on the left.

I rebuilt the configuration as I found it originally. The "lower" roof is over the porch and surrounds about 1/4 of the house periphery. The "higher" roof is actually a 11" wide ledge that surrounds the remainder of the periphery. The roofers hired by the previous owners just went nuts with sheet metal, covering over the rotted ledge and out on to the porch roof. I rebuilt this section of the ledge a few years ago, using original dimensions.

What should be the dimensions of step flashing, keeping in mind that, as stated above, the "lower" roof has a few degree slope down into the wall?
I was thinking of putting a wide piece of flashing under the whole thing, say 6" up the wall and 12" out on the roof, then felt, then shingles (with step flashing). Should the felt go down before the flashing? Does this sound acceptable, overkill, or just dumb?
Old 11-29-2009, 04:27 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 250

Ice and water shield would do wonders in this situation along with step flashing and counterflashing.
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 05:25 AM   #6
Chicago, IL

Rewards Points: 500

Can you post a link to a picture that shows a wider angle view of this entire side of the property?

Also, it would be helpful if you would fill out the location information in your profile, so we know where (and in what kind of climate) the property so located.
Home Inspections, Infrared (Thermal Imaging) Leak Identification and Inspection Services, Roof, Attic, Building, Basement and Foundation Moisture Intrusion and Water Leak Inspections, Troubled Building Consultations - Serving Chicago and Suburbs http://paragoninspects.com/

Last edited by Michael Thomas; 11-29-2009 at 01:49 PM.
Michael Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2009, 08:05 AM   #7
Pro Slate Roofer

Do not bother with the with L shaped flashing. Waste of time, effort, and material. Serves '0' purpose.
Step flashing should be 4" x 4" by 'unexposed' portion of shingle. Usually 7". Sometimes 10".
In the case of your step, make the vertical leg as tall as necessary to extent 2-3" onto the next level.

How low is the 'dip' / downslope? 1/4"? You might use a 3" wide piece of shingle and a 6" wide piece.
3/4"? Get creative with 1/2" minimum plywood. Use longer than 1/4" nails in either case. so they hit something solid.

Best? Shim up the building there.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:13 AM   #8
Pro Slate Roofer

Looking at the pic more closely, do you mean by 'downslope' that the water runs directly into the wall?
Multi view pics would be helpful.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:58 AM   #9
Pro Slate Roofer

If it is a dead valley design, you would need to do a variation on this theme. http://www.roofingtalk.com/f8/i-forget-489/
You'll need to sign up to see the pics, but that won't be an issue. Say you're a roofer.

Advertisement