DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Roof Tarp Nails

7K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  johnk 
#1 ·
Hey Pro's,

We are putting a second story addition on my one story house. So far everything is going OK. My question is when the framers leave at the end of the day they stretch the tarp over the new trusses onto the lower roof. They seem to just nail through the reinforced edges of the tarp right into the shingles. It would seem after a week of doing this they must have nailed a hundred holes in my existing shingles and roof deck. Sometimes they stretch the tarp clear to the other side of the roof so I know there are nail holes pretty much everywhere on my existing roof. Are these nail holes something to be concerned with? The contractor says they will replace the shingles with the holes but I imagine there is no way to see all of these and get all of them. What do you guys think?

#4 ·
I spread a 60 x 40' tarp over the addition, temporarily nailed at the top wrapped in a 2x4. The bottom corners and every 6' have a rope tied through the grommets with a tennis ball attached to the 50' ropes(end of rope knot in slit in tennis ball). Toss the ball, ground man pulls the tarp, attaches to the fence, house, etc. Only the top holes (stay the same- daily) need replacing of shingles.

On a 1-story addition below a 2 story house eave (Tails), tie one end of tarp under house tails, attach pulleys (8' on center) like a bamboo shade to the eave underside (with lag eyes). Wrap a 2x4 along the bottom edge with the ropes looped around. Daily lift and tie-off the ropes after the giant shade is lifted to work. Get one big enough (or several) to cover addition while installing trusses/rafters in bad weather.

Be safe, Gary

#5 ·
If they are nailing in the same shingles everyday,it should be an easy fix.If they are nailing in different locations everyday they are idiots.There are many ways to secure a tarp without penetrating a perfectly good roof.Tell them your concerns.They should at the very least be marking the nail holes,so you know where the hell they are!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.