Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-12-2010, 09:26 PM   #1
Novice with little luck

Send a message via AIM to bkraz Send a message via Skype™ to bkraz
Share |
Question

Roof support cross brace repair

Hi!

New around here... I'm spending more and more time with items like this so finally thought it would be good to become a member and ask some of these dumb questions on my mind.

Here's the deal... Had to head into the attic because I had a new ceiling stain show up on my... well... ceiling. Found that problem and the action plan is in place. Actually that's been the easiest thing to fix on the roof or in the attic, to date. But I'm up there, and I see a cross beam (or whatever they're called) which has popped out on one end and is hanging from the single end by 4 or 5 nails that it was secured with originally. Then, while heading over there to see what was going on, I rested one hand on one of two 2x4 "supports" that are in an 'X' configuration and the thing peeled right out of the ridge beam that it was nailed into.

So now I have a horizontal beam hanging from one end and some nails in the rafter and a vertical beam that I was only able to put back up by sliding the nails into the ridge beam - so it's not actually supporting anything.

The horizontal beam popped out of the rafter on the one side because the end of the 2x6 warped like crazy and just pulled the nails right out of the wood. I have no idea why the vertical 2x4 beam came out so easy. I'm guessing house settling or ... whatever.

So... need some advice. Thanks in advance.
bkraz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:01 PM   #2

Sounds like a diagonal "X" brace came loose from the ridge board? A picture would help or learn the terms:
http://books.google.com/books?id=E5S...raming&f=false

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...RMyCq7zQ737mAg

Gary
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:55 PM   #3
Novice with little luck

There are two items, specifically.

#1 one end of one of the "collar ties" in my attic has popped out of the rafter it was nailed into. It has done this because the last 3-4 feet of the collar tie has warped something awful and so the nails were just slowly pulled out.

#2 one of the diagonal "X" braces came out of the ridge board very easily and is definitely not providing any support as it slips in and out of the nail holes with zero effort.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:01 AM   #4

Usually don't need an X brace on the ridge board, except it helps when installing the rafters.

Rafter tie nailing: http://www.engineersedge.com/civil_e...onnections.htm

Gary
Clean the ducting in the last six months? 17,000 dryer fires annually!
Gary in WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:58 AM   #5
Novice with little luck

That's interesting... maybe the roofers put that together while they were constructing the original build and then just left them there.

Well, if I don't need those then I'll just hammer that one back in and maybe put one screw in it to keep it in place and then not worry about it.

Which leaves only the collar tie issue. I have the one that has warped and pulled out of the rafter and which is hanging only by the nails in the other end. And just today I found another one that has warped (again only on one end and again the final 3 feet or so) and which has pulled well over half of the length of the nails out of the rafter. I'm guessing I should replace these 2x8 collar ties with new lumber... is it just that simple?