Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-24-2008, 09:19 PM   #1

Share |

Roof and siding damage

Hello to all and thanks for the information that is shared here. This is a very informative forum. I just registered here, and have some questions I would like to ask.

Our home was recently subjected to hail damage out here in the Chicago burbs and I had 2 contractors and my adjuster here. Both contractors are suggesting roof and siding to be replaced. Adjuster said yes to siding, but no to roof. I am considering getting a third contractor to get 3 bids and then I may also ask for a re-inspect. I have time since none of the damage is resulting in leaks. I am looking more for quality than a cheap deal. We plan to stay here for 20yrs+. Our home is a 2800sq. ft. 2 story colonial side-gabled roof with a small gable on the forward side. House footprint is approx 50'x35'. It has 8 mushroom vents and soffit intakes. 20 yr 3 tabs on it. Currently with 4in aluminum siding. My questions are...

1- I am leaning toward Tamko heritage30 for shingles. One contractor I spoke with preferred them, and from the research I have done they seem like very good product. I noticed many fans for them on here as well (ETR). The contractor also uses Tamko Moisture guard plus and I have not seen much on this product in here, but have been seeing allot of talk about Grace. Are they in the same category for quality? As far as felt, is there anything to look for other then 15,30lb? What does 30 do for the roof that the 15 doesn't?

2-The ventilation of the roof I described earlier am curious for a roof this simple as far as ventilation flow goes, is it worth going as far as changing it over to a ridge vent system? I don't see any problems that I have heard on here about obstructed flow and premature failure of shingles, I was considering putting in a t-stat controlled power vent to keep the upstairs cooler in the summer. I have seen allot of negative reaction to doing this on here when trying to correct improper flow, but if flow is good, and I just want to reduce temps on hi days, is this a good way to go, or just a waste of money?

3- The Royal Woodland 4.5 designer @ .046 is the vinyl I am looking at but have not heard much about it at all on here. It seems like a high quality product, so I was surprised not to see much talk about it. What are your thoughts on this line?

4- I was told when re-siding the house will be wrapped again even if is already wrapped. I was looking at other vinyl options which included insulation attached to the vinyl, some glued and some locked on. The other option was to go with the Royal woodland and add insul to it. Like fullback which is contoured to the vinyl, or 1/4 in foil foam. Both contractors didn't have much desire for going this route. They seem to like just rewrapping it and then vinyl. Since I'm planning on staying what is the forums suggestion on adding insulation either formed or flat or at all. And what products are recommended.

Pretty lengthy for a first time poster, I apologize about that. I'm really looking to do this right the first time, and since these contractors' names come from recommendations of others I do value their opinion but would like input from neutral parties. Plus since I will be getting more money from insurance since it is aluminum and am going for vinyl I will be able to be flexible with options.

Thanks in advance for all your information.

Sando777

sando777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 11:06 PM   #2

Roof and siding damage

edit:
Excuse the length. I have a passionate disregard for the Storm Chasing tactics, so excuse my tangent.

Ed

First off, are you in the Algonquin-LITH-Huntley area that got hit on July 2nd?

I hear that there are more out of towners knocking on all of the doors over there, that some people have put signs in the windows telling the Storm Chasers to go away.

Also, are the recommendations from people who have used these contractors more than several years ago, or is it recent, since the onslaught of the wave of Storm Chasers.

Those guys will be down to a skeleton office staff in one years time after their last claim handled.

Read a real lot of information about Storm Chasers and their tactics on this site. Warning, it is long.

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/whit...N2IQNR0DQ5OPB5

I posted in there towards the end and it is up to 12 pages of posts long so far. I am at post number 239 and slightly earlier, if you choose to read through it all.

That forum started out about Storm Chasers in Minnesota, but now has gathered steam from other regions, such as near my area, Carpentersville.

I live in Algonquin myself and will only go into that area from customers who call Right Way Roofing Company on their own. (Sorry, as long as I am going to plug other respected companies, I felt I should get an honorable mention as well.)

If you are in that area, as I presume, here are some additional contractors that I recommend, highly.
Also, it is not the "Norm" for a real local roofing contractor to give a non-descriptive estimate with no pricing listed and fool the home owner into signing the blank contract agreement.

I surely wish the Attorney General, Lisa Madigan, would closely scrutinize these happenings.

The other contractors in that area that I personally recommend, due to higher than average quality and length of time serving the local community are: Jerry Neuman Roofing and Remodeling and Hare Roofing Company

The owner of my main material supply company was out in that neigborhood 1 1/2 weeks ago and reported some of the canvassing Door Knockers and Flyer Hangers getting into scrapes about whose leaflette would wind up on the door, plus the last guy walking down the street was pulling the other companies baggies of information off of the doors.

.046 Vinyl siding is a higher quality.

Tamko Heritage and Certainteed LandMarks are my favorite architectural shingles.

No, to adding the Power Attic Vent along with the ridge venting.

Yes to adding the Ridge Vent, but use Shingle Vent II.

Grace is the Premium stickiest brand of Ice and Water Shield and is what I recimmend, but it is twice as expensive as most of the other brands.

Difference of opinion on this one, but I prefer 30# felt or synthetic felt paper versus the chap and thin 15# felt paper. Better safety for walking on the roof. Less tearing of the roof underlayment, especially in the warmer seasons. A double thick barrier for protecting the underside asphaltic surface of the shingles from being degraded prematurely from the resins of engineered wood sheathing products, such as Plywood or OSB board. It is a last stop gap for water-proofing the home, which may become necessarry if one or several shingles ever get blown off in a very heavy wind storm.

Some failures reported in the adhesion of the insulation that is attached to the siding products, so I tend to prefer the backer board 1/4" for a smooth surface myself, but opinions will vary, but I do know what the manufacturers say behind closed doors for their preferance in my area.

All windows and doors should also be wrapped with a Weather Resistant Barrier, such as Grace Ice and Water Shield.

Vinyl siding is only a perimeter defence against water intrusion and NOT a water-tight barrier. Improper flashing short-cuts will cause unidentifiable leaks around many protrusions that will not be evidenced until it is too late.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 12:58 PM   #3

Send a message via MSN to the roofing god

Roof and siding damage

you need to call Right Way Roofing Company,in carpentersville,they are said to be the best in the area,and I believe it to be true,you get what you pay for !!

www.ADVANCEDROOFINGNEWYORK.com
the roofing god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 02:05 PM   #4

Roof and siding damage

Thank you TRG, and even though I feel that Right Way Roofing is a notch above the rest, the other 2 contractors I referred are both on similar par to my company, both in years of experience and a fortitude to providing specifications that exceed minimum code and aspire to a higher level than the majority of the rest out there.

When I pass by Jerrys jobs, it looks identical to those that I put my name on and Hare has the most detailed proposal next to mine.

Ed

Last edited by Ed the Roofer; 07-28-2008 at 06:58 PM.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:04 PM   #5
registered

Roof and siding damage

Call Ed.
747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 11:21 PM   #6

Roof and siding damage

Thanks to all for the advice and recommendations.

Ed, I tried to PM you the other day so I could set a time for you to come out to the house. I was unable to PM you since I am a newbie, I guess I need more posts. I am not sure but I assume you can PM me and I am able to receive it. I did find your company website, but wasn't sure of your position there, if I would actually get you or someone else on the other end. I figure if your in the field you probably do not anwer the companys phone, and I may get someone else coming out. You can try and PM me and I will check to see if I can receive it, or if you have another option let me know.

sando777.
sando777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:41 AM   #7

Roof and siding damage

Sando777,

I sent you a message, but if you see this first, you can contact my office and speak with my Secretary, Lisa.

Office #: (847) 426-9730

or you can e-mail me at: eddiesdad@sbcglobal.net

I currently am doing all of the estimates.

Ed

Tags
ed the roofer, hail damage, right way roofing company, storm chasers