Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-12-2012, 07:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

roof shingles

I need to have my roof replaced. My neighbor recommended her roofer, and he uses Timberline (Prestique) shingles. How do these shingles rate?

lisas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 518

roof shingles

Just fine. Your main concern should be the quality of the installation

OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to OldNBroken For This Useful Post:
framer52 (04-27-2012), lisas (04-12-2012), seeyou (04-14-2012), Windows on Wash (04-13-2012)
Old 04-13-2012, 06:46 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,500

roof shingles

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNBroken View Post
Just fine. Your main concern should be the quality of the installation
+1

If you stay within the upper brands, the larger issue is going to be installation.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 07:11 AM   #4
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

roof shingles

Also - Does he install to manufacturer exact specifications, that will allow any warrantees to be properly covered.

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 04-14-2012 at 06:50 AM. Reason: Correction
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
Doing This Way Too Long

roof shingles

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlanticWBConst. View Post
Also - Does he install to manufacturer (Certainteeds) exact specifications, that will allow any warrantees to be properly covered.
Since when does GAF use Certainteed's specs?
Sorry, couldn't help it.
The Following User Says Thank You to OldNBroken For This Useful Post:
AtlanticWBConst. (04-14-2012)
Old 04-17-2012, 02:38 PM   #6

roof shingles

OK, so I'm in the market for a new roof and been getting estimates.
Some contractors use IKO, others, OC and Certainteed.

I have looked at the OC Oakridge and Duration, IKO Cambridge and Certainteed Landmark.

I have noticed that on the OC shingles, the tar seal line is all the way across the entire length of the shingle but in the IKO and Certainteed and IKO its only about 1.75 of tar and then a 1inch gap and then another 1.75 of tar and gap etc.

SO my question is: isn't the gap (no tar seal) a weakness where water can be blown in and freeze overnight and eventually break the seal of the 1.75inch of tar that is holding the shingle to the one below it?

The OC Oakrifge/Duration don't have that gap, its a tar seal all the way across the entire shingle.

I ask this because peeps have been saying that the Certainteed is a better shingle!

I don't like the IKO because even the area that has the tar (about 1.75inch followed by a 1inch gap) is so thin that I just don't trust that it will stick!

Any opinions?

Thanks,
Mapete
macpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
Exterior Construction

roof shingles

There is much more to the shingle that that sealing strip although it is a good marketing tool.

Of those 3 brands, a majority of roofers would select the Certainteed Landmark for their home (me included).

Certainteed is one of the few that discloses shingle weights and is actually tested to specific ANSI test.

I would ask them to quote the Landmark Pro or Premium (limited colors in the premium).
Old 04-17-2012, 08:09 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

roof shingles

A solid tar line doesn't allow any moisture to escape from the underside of the shingle.
ParagonEx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ParagonEx For This Useful Post:
framer52 (04-27-2012), OldNBroken (04-17-2012), seeyou (04-18-2012)
Old 04-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #9

roof shingles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParagonEx View Post
A solid tar line doesn't allow any moisture to escape from the underside of the shingle.
That was my first thought also (as to why leave a gap of untared area) but I would think that 1. you don't want any moister to be there or get in 2. there is a unsealed area where two shingles butt against each other, so that would allow for any moister (dew) to vent off should any form due to condensation.

So, I'm still puzzled, personally, I think it's cost but it's just a assumption.

-Mac
Old 04-18-2012, 09:43 AM   #10
MJW

Rewards Points: 500

roof shingles

Asphalt shingles have used a spaced tar line or no tar line at all for many many years with no problems pertaining to the tar line. OC has had a solid tar line on their shingles since I can remember and they have had numerous problems pertaining to the solid tar line.
Actually I thought they were going to get rid of the solid tar line because of all the problems...???

Certainteed has the best laminate on the market, IMO. IKO, OC, and Tamko would all be considered a second choice and GAF being the last choice. The quality of the different brands seems to vary depending on your location though. Get a full shingle of each brand and compare them side by side.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MJW For This Useful Post:
seeyou (04-18-2012), Windows on Wash (04-18-2012)
Old 04-19-2012, 01:57 PM   #11

roof shingles

Well, seems like the roofing supply company (ABC Roofing supply) in my area does a lot of business with the IKO Cambridge shingles and they have only two colors of the Certainteed Landmark/+ and no Premium (would need to order that).

Anyway, the price for the Certainteed Premium that he gave me was less then for the + !? I don't understand that.

So, would the OC Duration be as good a shingle as the Certainteed +

In the grand scheme of things, does it really matter, OC or Certainteed or even IKO?

Thanks,
Mac

Last edited by macpete; 04-19-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 04-19-2012, 09:54 PM   #12
Exterior Construction

roof shingles

I think so, but I would also argue that the installation is more critical.

Certainteed, in my opinion, is the best of those three shingles if you are comparing similar levels inside of each brand.

Prepare for the firestorm.....
Old 04-21-2012, 08:55 AM   #13

Rewards Points: 77

roof shingles

IKO shingles, there is no consistancy whatsoever, you will notice a size variation between IKO bundles, upwards of a 1/8" difference in height. This causes uneven rows, making the install process more of a pain in the butt.

IKO shingles drop more granules than any other brand I have used. So much so they make a walkable 7/12 pitch a dangerous place to be lol.

OC has a solid tar strip that doesn't allow for air movement under the shingle, which would dry up any moisture that may be trapped in there.
I have noticed that the OC doesn't seal as fast as some other brands, I have replaced 2 day old OCs (installed in +35C weather) that blew off the roof.

I was going to say some negative things about Certainteed shingles, but I don't know of any.
bcdemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 01:01 PM   #14

roof shingles

OK, I'm down to the Certainteed Landmark Pro which is a 250lb. shingle or the OC Duration (my understand is that OC is now using the partial tar line rather then the complete - - - ).

I have not been able to find the weight of the Duration shingles or any pro/cons.

They do have the "SureNail Area" which is some kind of nylon mash (not sure).

Anyway, that's where I'm at now.

Question, it seems to me that the nails are so close to the edge of the shingle (in the architectural shingle on all the manufacturers) that it seems like a bad design, why are the nails so close to the edge of the shingle (where the shingle above it just covers the nails by perhaps a half inch), isn't there a much greater danger of water seepage thru the nails?

Thanks,
Mac
Old 04-27-2012, 01:55 PM   #15
Doing This Way Too Long

roof shingles

Quote:
Originally Posted by macpete View Post

Question, it seems to me that the nails are so close to the edge of the shingle (in the architectural shingle on all the manufacturers) that it seems like a bad design, why are the nails so close to the edge of the shingle (where the shingle above it just covers the nails by perhaps a half inch), isn't there a much greater danger of water seepage thru the nails?

Thanks,
Mac
Nope, maximum wind resistance there.