Roof Sheathing, 1/2 Vs 5/8 - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-14-2012, 07:46 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

roof sheathing, 1/2 vs 5/8

Is there any practical benefit from using 5-ply 5/8 ply vs 5-ply 1/2 for roof sheathing? 16" oc 2x10.

I know that 3/4 will add more weight, but my roof structure was engineered to handle a lot more weight than the difference between 1/2 and 3/4.

Plans call for 1/2, but then we decided to go with regular composite shingles rather than the heavier stuff we had speced for (wife found a color of shingle she liked better. And it's half the cost, so i'm not complaining). But since we hadn't sheathed yet, am wondering if there is any benefit for using thicker sheathing. Last longer, more resistant to damage? Or just a waste of money?

Oh, slope is 4.5 per 12, about 21 degrees. Was supposed to be 5/12 but there was a *cough* miscalculation on my part.

California, no snow load here.

Advertisement

Last edited by weekendwarrior9; 09-14-2012 at 07:51 PM.
weekendwarrior9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 712

Waste of money to use 5/8. Just make sure to use H clips between the rafters.
You do know three tabs are not going to last as long, More likly to lose tabs, will be more likly to leak sooner, and just do not look anywhere near as good.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 11:41 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,030

Thicker material will stay straighter, not sag between rafters. But really it don't matter.
mae-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:19 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,080

No H- clips required with your 16”o.c. spacing; http://www.strongtie.com/products/co.../pscl-psca.asp
Unless you live where it rains “cats and dogs”…always check with local AHJ. Be sure to space sheathing a 10d all edges. I had to install 3/4" once, house was in take-off/landing path of airport (sound reduction).

Gary
Old 09-15-2012, 12:49 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 75

Thanks for replies. I was about to go buy a bunch of H clips, glad I won't need them.

Yeah, 16oc, with blocking at the 4' mark, alternating bays, on a standard gabled roof.

Have 8d 1 1/2" galv roofing nails.

iirc the nailing schedule is what, 6"oc on all edges, 8"oc for field nailing for the ridge, main roof, and rafter tails, then for the gable outriggers, 4"oc edges and 6"oc field? I've heard I should use ring shank on the gables and rafter tails as well.

Silicon Valley, California, no high winds, moderate rains in winter. What's the gap between sheets for, to prevent buckling?

Last edited by weekendwarrior9; 09-15-2012 at 12:57 AM.
weekendwarrior9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 06:06 AM   #6
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,304

I would still put in the clips. They are super cheap and do help stabilize the joints in decking.

At the end of the day, what is the cost differential between the the two thicknesses? The thicker deck will lay down flatter and stay more true over the long term as compared to the thinner decking. If both are installed properly, it shouldn't make a different either way but if the difference is $200 in lumber charges, I would do it personally.

I would also not use a 3-tab on my roof when dimensionals are that close in cost...if you were planning on that.
Windows on Wash is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Windows on Wash For This Useful Post:
joecaption (09-15-2012), mae-ling (09-15-2012)
Old 09-15-2012, 11:42 AM   #7
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 516

I wouldn't waste the money using the 5/8. H clips are unnecessary as well. Usually on 16 centers we will use an h clip at each end just to keep the correct spacing. A nail can be used, just remember to pull it out before you trip over it.
sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #8
Bombastic Idiot

Rewards Points: 500

I use a ring shank or candy coat for entire sheet of sheathing. Use H's their cheap, bit less bounce at seams when nailing shingles. Less bounce with 5/8 than !/2 but with 16" centers probably won't notice. Was re-roofing over old shingles on a house long ago, got a few courses up at one end was getting a lot of bounce couldn't even drive nail. broken rafter? Rotted sheath? Climbed into attic, discover 36" between two rafters. 2X6's Floating joint between next row up of sheathing.
notmrjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 10:59 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 2,080

Hope you went with a light-colored shingle; http://www.professionalroofing.net/a...2/feature2.asp

Under CA Code; #31, and footnote "b": http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/st..._23_par127.htm

You may be under a special seismic "diaphragm nailing" for your location, hit "next section" to progress through them: http://publicecodes.cyberregs.com/st..._23_par168.htm Full-blocking at eves/ridge/gables. Check with AHJ.

Gap is for sheathing swelling when wet due to night sky radiation; Fig. 5; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...+sky+radiation

and "solar driven" moisture, Fig. 3b; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...ofing-shingles

Gary

Advertisement