Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

is roof safe

I have an addition on my trailer.This addition has two rooms,the ceiling joists and roof joists are the same.there has been a leak in one of the rooms since we bought it.I took the drywall off the ceiling where it was leaking and this what I found.2 x 6 s that were cut on one end to about 3 inches notched out .this was to make a slight slope on the roof with 24 inch centers. The one joist where the leak is.Is rotten and it looks like someone had tried to fix it.Rooms are 12 feet by 9.5 feet each.Is this roof safe?I live in the north where there is snow 6 months of the year.

doly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
Licensed Builder

is roof safe

You might be better off trying to find the leak on the actual outside roof is. It could be blown off shingles, a leaking valley, etc. Look at the roof from the outside of the house with binoculars if possible. Otherwise, have someone climb up there and see what the problem might be.

Handyservices is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Handyservices For This Useful Post:
Roofmaster417 (08-06-2011)
Old 08-06-2011, 08:45 PM   #3

is roof safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handyservices View Post
You might be better off trying to find the leak on the actual outside roof is. It could be blown off shingles, a leaking valley, etc. Look at the roof from the outside of the house with binoculars if possible. Otherwise, have someone climb up there and see what the problem might be.
I failed to mention I've been on the roof.It has tin on the top layer an underneath that is shingles there is a low spot where the leak is because the joist is broken and rotten there.also they did not strap the roof before they put the tin on and a lot of the screws were loose because they were screwed into the old shingles underneath not 1x4 wood.when it pours rain it takes about 3 minutes before it starts to leak and when starts it looks like someone turned on a tap.The water is running between the tin and shingles and leaking in the low spot.should I take off the whole roof or add to the top.making a roof joist from the main trailer to the edge of the addition??
Old 08-06-2011, 09:12 PM   #4
RFN-4A-LVN

Rewards Points: 500

is roof safe

Everyone can speculate all day long.You should IMHPO have the roof completely removed.

Adding an additional metal over the issue is like a handful of gauze on a sucking chest wound.(Morbid??,,Don't know where it came from,,sorry)

Anytime you add additional to an existing problem it comes back much worse.(Mold,weight,rot etc.)
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roofmaster417 For This Useful Post:
Handyservices (08-07-2011)
Old 08-06-2011, 09:29 PM   #5

is roof safe

[quote=Roofmaster417;701932]Everyone can speculate all day long.You should IMHPO have the roof completely removed.

Adding an additional metal over the issue is like a handful of gauze on a sucking chest wound.(Morbid??,,Don't know where it came from,,sorry)

Anytime you add additional to an existing problem it comes back much worse.(Mold,weight,rot etc.)[/quo
Yes you are probably right.I thought maybe someone would have a spectacular solution to an ugly problem. Take it off and start new .