Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-11-2010, 10:22 AM   #1

Share |

Roof replacement specs

I'm starting to get bids to have my roof replaced. Here is my list of "specs" so that I get apples to apples quotes and to make sure that the contractors understand what I want. Did I leave anything out? Suggestions?

1. Tear off old roof (2 layers)
2. New 15# felt
3. Reflash chimney (copper)
4. Install exposed copper flashing at ridge (mold inhibitor)
5. Install 2 new vent penetrations (kitchen & bath vent)
6. Install I & W shield
7. All new drip edge
8. All new plumbing vent boots
9. Include cost to replace 3 sheets of plywood

Old 06-11-2010, 10:33 AM   #2

Roof replacement specs

Post a photo or provide a detailed description of the style of home you have and how many existing layers are on the roof currently.

You did not address Intake or Exhaust Ventilation or Ice and Water Shield along the eave edges and any valley areas.

Also, the method that the copper counter flashings are to be installed, stepped, straight, flush mounted, or cut into a brick mortar joint reglette.

Ed

Ed the Roofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:16 AM   #3
Shut in w/o Home

Roof replacement specs

Pretty comprehensive.

Add to what Ed mentioned:

Type of waste vent flashing - lead, plastic, copper, etc

&

type, brand, style of shingle (I'm assuming this is an asphalt roof).
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:17 AM   #4

Roof replacement specs

I don't have a picture handy, but the house is a Ranch style (rambler). It has one peak that extends toward the street (perpendicular to the main roofline) that ends as a hip. There are two layers of asphault 3 tab shinges on the roof as it sits right now.

I didn't bring up ventilation because the current vents are gable vents (Two 24" x 36" vents). Not sure how to determine if they are adequate. Would adding a ridge vent, sealing up the gable vents and cutting intakes into the soffits be worth the effort?

I'll make sure I include I & W for the valleys.

Right now, the chimney flashing is cut into the mortar joints. What do you recommend?

Edit: I plan to get quotes for Certainteed Landmark (30 & 40 year), Landmark Solaris, and Grand Manor (just for giggles)

Last edited by Joe F; 06-11-2010 at 11:20 AM.
Joe F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 11:18 AM   #5
Shut in w/o Home

Roof replacement specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe F View Post

Right now, the chimney flashing is cut into the mortar joints. What do you recommend?
Replace it the same way.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 12:47 PM   #6

Roof replacement specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe F View Post
I don't have a picture handy, but the house is a Ranch style (rambler). It has one peak that extends toward the street (perpendicular to the main roofline) that ends as a hip. There are two layers of asphault 3 tab shinges on the roof as it sits right now.

I didn't bring up ventilation because the current vents are gable vents (Two 24" x 36" vents). Not sure how to determine if they are adequate. Would adding a ridge vent, sealing up the gable vents and cutting intakes into the soffits be worth the effort?

I'll make sure I include I & W for the valleys.

Edit: I plan to get quotes for Certainteed Landmark (30 & 40 year), Landmark Solaris, and Grand Manor (just for giggles)
Gable vents do not work unless a direct strong wind is blowing into one forcefully enough to flush out the interior air through the opposing side vent.

Yes, close off the Gable Vents and install a Baffled Ridge Vent, similar to Shingle Vent II from Air Vent Corporation.

Don't waste the contractors time pricing a shingle you really do not want to afford. It's expensive and wouldn't look good on a low slope walk on ranch home.

Ed
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed the Roofer For This Useful Post:
seeyou (06-11-2010)
Old 06-11-2010, 02:04 PM   #7

Roof replacement specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed the Roofer View Post
Gable vents do not work unless a direct strong wind is blowing into one forcefully enough to flush out the interior air through the opposing side vent.

Yes, close off the Gable Vents and install a Baffled Ridge Vent, similar to Shingle Vent II from Air Vent Corporation.
How do I determine the proper soffit venting to go with the ridge vent? I'd probably vent the soffits myself.
Old 06-11-2010, 07:58 PM   #8

Roof replacement specs

Each size soffit vent has an NFVA rating and you will need to equal or slightly exceed the NFVA rating from the Ridge Vent product.

For instance, Shingle Vent II provided 18 square inches of Exhaust NFVA per lineal foot applied toi the ridge of the house, so you should have 9 square inches per foot on both the front and the back of the home and they work best when they are continuous rather than the individual vents.

Check out Airvent.com for typical products used and their associated NFVA ratings from their product line. It will be similar to other manufacturers for the most part.

Ed
The Following User Says Thank You to Ed the Roofer For This Useful Post:
Joe F (06-14-2010)
Old 06-12-2010, 11:41 PM   #9
RFN-4A-LVN

Roof replacement specs

I agree a total waste of money for the Grand Manors on anything below 9/12.And the Grand Manors require an open valley.As far as your chimney flashing I wouldn't recommend the reusing of the the Counter flashing/step flashing.,the idea of a new roof is well..,a new roof,never reuse any roof component other than a weatherhead for obvious reasons.Ask your contractor if he is familiar with installing counter flashing.,if he does then have it installed and if he is not familiar with CF then he can buy a CF kit from a number of different suppliers.Reusing that outdated style of one piece CF/step flashing might or might not match the life of your shingle.,besides since you have 2-layers it (step flashing)will be blowed full of holes from the 2nd layer and the 1st then another layer will be added.Bringing the grand total of 3 different sets of nails.We do custom counter flashing and I feel it is the finishing touch,because you
will have a new roof but the old counterflashing will stick out bad and it will start bugging you.

Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote