Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-05-2011, 04:07 PM   #1

Share |

Roof replace with shake

I just bought an old house and paid cash. Then, my insurance agent sent an email (after originally setting up my homeowners) that they would not insure it until the roof was replaced.
The roof doesn't leak so the plan was to do it late summer, but now this has made me very vulnerable.
Also, the old roof is 2 layers of asphalt over wood shakes and the quote I liked was almost 9k. I don't know a lot about roofing, but I knew enough to avoid some of the low ones I got. This guy listed everything he was going to do in detail.
With less time to play with this and more money than I anticipated, this is going to be difficult to work out. The roofer told me the major difference in price is the prep work because of the shakes.
I have been trying to come up with some way to reduce this cost, and I was thinking about my 2 nephews who would love to help me! It looks good on paper that they could tear off and remove all the nails and then it could be roofed as normal, but I know that's a stretch. Coordinating the timing and worrying about the weather might be impossible, but it would sure save me.
Should I forget this idea or is it doable?
Just aggravates me that I have to rush it, not because the roof itself is leaking but because of insurance.
Thanks for any thoughts on this!

Lisa C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:25 PM   #2
Shut in w/o Home

Roof replace with shake

More than likely you have cedar shingles rather than shakes if they've been asphalt shingled over. The cedar shingles are also likely installed over split sheathing rather than solid sheathing. All the layers of asphalt and cedar must be removed and solid sheathing (plywood or OSB) will have to be installed if this condition exists. It's a labor intensive chore and the house is vulnerable to rain for a longer time than with a simple tear off/re-roof. Probably not the best place for inexperienced DIYer's to get their wings.

There's a good roofer from Indy on this forum. Hopefully he'll be along shortly to assist you.

Last edited by seeyou; 03-05-2011 at 08:29 PM.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 05:25 PM   #3
Solutions (handyman)

Roof replace with shake

Hi Lisa, I think I responded to another pose of yours. Anyway, depending on the roof, having it de-shingles appears to be the largest issue. I'd shop around and explain that the roofing material is going to be garbaged. If need be, you can tell a possible little white lie and say you have friends to do the re-roofing. Stripping the roof will take some time but you also have to check the wood sheathing under the shingles. To give you a basic idea of costs, new shingles (asphalt or fiberglass) run about $29 per bundle. (in Canada, but similar in the US) Each bundle civers approx. 33 sq. Feet, so if you do the math you can get an idea of material costs. I'd add more for felt paper (about $100) and if you want metal trim call drip edge, add up to another $100 to be safe. There may be a few added items, depending on your climate, but his will give you a "ball park" figure. Installation is about the same and material costs. Plus there may be an added cost for removal of the old shingles ... because, as you mentioned, there are three layers. All in all, once it's done, I think you'll be a happy camper. Just do the math and don't be shy about asking questions. I hate to see anyone taken advantage of.
All the best.
Mark Harvey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:21 PM   #4

Roof replace with shake

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeyou View Post
More than likely you have cedar shingles rather than shakes if they've been asphalt shingled over. The cedar shingles are also likely installed over split sheathing rather than solid sheathing. All the layers of asphalt and cedar must be removed and solid sheathing (plywood or OSB) will have to be installed if this condition exists. It's a labor intensive chore and the house is vulnerable to rain for a longer time than than a simple tear off/re-roof. Probably not the best place for inexperienced DIYer's to get their wings.

There's a good roofer from Indy on this forum. Hopefully he'll be along shortly to assist you.
I was afraid someone would tell me that. I know they could do it and do a good job, but the timing aspect would be real difficult. I was told that was the biggest problem, the prep work.
Did I mention how much I dislike insurance companies?
Old 03-05-2011, 08:27 PM   #5

Roof replace with shake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Harvey View Post
Hi Lisa, I think I responded to another pose of yours. Anyway, depending on the roof, having it de-shingles appears to be the largest issue. I'd shop around and explain that the roofing material is going to be garbaged. If need be, you can tell a possible little white lie and say you have friends to do the re-roofing. Stripping the roof will take some time but you also have to check the wood sheathing under the shingles. To give you a basic idea of costs, new shingles (asphalt or fiberglass) run about $29 per bundle. (in Canada, but similar in the US) Each bundle civers approx. 33 sq. Feet, so if you do the math you can get an idea of material costs. I'd add more for felt paper (about $100) and if you want metal trim call drip edge, add up to another $100 to be safe. There may be a few added items, depending on your climate, but his will give you a "ball park" figure. Installation is about the same and material costs. Plus there may be an added cost for removal of the old shingles ... because, as you mentioned, there are three layers. All in all, once it's done, I think you'll be a happy camper. Just do the math and don't be shy about asking questions. I hate to see anyone taken advantage of.
All the best.
It seems it is going to be expensive if done correctly, no question. I know that estimates can differ greatly too, so I might get a few more. This poor house... at least I know it is strong to withstand all that weight! And unbelievable that it isn't leaking, that top layer looks pretty old.
Thanks for the info. I suppose I have no choice but to get this worked out
Old 03-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
RFN-4A-LVN

Roof replace with shake

I think alot of DIY'rs but this project is a professional project.This project is labor intensive and requires a higher level of education within the construction trade.Alot of homes out of the shake era have multiple layers of shingles still an the roofs.I reroofed one that had 11 layers over shakes.

I would feel safe assuming that the roof is steep.When working on steep it requires a higher level of danger associated with steep construction.

Proper safety precautions need and should be acknowledged and abided by.Remember you have no insurance.

I would research more contractors in your area.If proper installation and proper safety issues are not addressed then your project which should be a fun experience will turn into a financial and emotional nightmare.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 03-06-2011 at 01:11 PM.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roofmaster417 For This Useful Post:
Lisa C (03-06-2011)
Old 03-06-2011, 01:47 PM   #7

Roof replace with shake

I know you are right, and probably knew it all along. Best to do it once, do it right, and be done. Getting more than one person involved would be asking for trouble if there was a problem later.
This is just one of those situations I am sure we've all experienced... a problem appears that is not only is worse than expected, but the consequences (for me, insurance cancelling) are even bigger. My desperate mind is just stretching fruitlessly!
There is no question that I will have to put it off longer than what I would like and live with the huge risk. Somehow I will make it work, and hope for a little luck.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:12 PM   #8
RFN-4A-LVN

Roof replace with shake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa C View Post
I know you are right, and probably knew it all along. Best to do it once, do it right, and be done. Getting more than one person involved would be asking for trouble if there was a problem later.
This is just one of those situations I am sure we've all experienced... a problem appears that is not only is worse than expected, but the consequences (for me, insurance canceling) are even bigger. My desperate mind is just stretching fruitlessly!
There is no question that I will have to put it off longer than what I would like and live with the huge risk. Somehow I will make it work, and hope for a little luck.
You have no idea how many customers I have met who were distraught over poor workmanship results.I have also been called to complete projects after the homeowner realized they were in way over their heads.And these were simple tear offs.

With the amount of work require for your project you need a pro.I feel that you are making a wise decision.I also feel after its all said and done you will be proud of your decision.

Just remember to use the same thought process when having the roof installed.Don't be caught up in the same desperate feelings and hire Bo Diddly's brother who you see at the drive thru at Mc D's.Make sensible and confident decisions about your home.Take care of your home and it will take care of you.

Actually I was nice to several of my properties and they had a funny way of showing love back.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:42 PM   #9

Roof replace with shake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roofmaster417 View Post
You have no idea how many customers I have met who were distraught over poor workmanship results.I have also been called to complete projects after the homeowner realized they were in way over their heads.And these were simple tear offs.

With the amount of work require for your project you need a pro.I feel that you are making a wise decision.I also feel after its all said and done you will be proud of your decision.

Just remember to use the same thought process when having the roof installed.Don't be caught up in the same desperate feelings and hire Bo Diddly's brother who you see at the drive thru at Mc D's.Make sensible and confident decisions about your home.Take care of your home and it will take care of you.

Actually I was nice to several of my properties and they had a funny way of showing love back.
I have done enough roofing myself to know that a minor mistake can come back and haunt you. I didn't like any of it...hot heavy and messy.
I am in the acceptance stage getting it done right is gonna cost me
Old 03-11-2011, 03:51 PM   #10

Roof replace with shake

You know, the thing that really ticks me off about situations like this is. That roof could be fully functional for many many more years. Two layers of asphalt on a layer of cedar. If all the details, flashings and whatnot are in good condition I'd like to see water get through that. How about trying with a few insurance companies with an exclusion for any roof problems? Try getting coverage through a small local co-op insurance company. I had a friend who insured a barn with Mennonite mutual aid. I had recommended to him that the barn be torn down and the first big wind that came along was going to do the job for him. Well sure enough it blew down and he got something like $50K from the insurance. It ticked me off actually, it was almost fraud in my mind. Well ,that's besides the point anyway but in my long experience with roofs like yours, reroofing them is more often than not an esthetic thing because the old roof looks so bad rather than being a fuctional thing where the roof is either leaking or about to.
lucknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:57 PM   #11

Roof replace with shake

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucknow View Post
You know, the thing that really ticks me off about situations like this is. That roof could be fully functional for many many more years. Two layers of asphalt on a layer of cedar. If all the details, flashings and whatnot are in good condition I'd like to see water get through that. How about trying with a few insurance companies with an exclusion for any roof problems? Try getting coverage through a small local co-op insurance company. I had a friend who insured a barn with Mennonite mutual aid. I had recommended to him that the barn be torn down and the first big wind that came along was going to do the job for him. Well sure enough it blew down and he got something like $50K from the insurance. It ticked me off actually, it was almost fraud in my mind. Well ,that's besides the point anyway but in my long experience with roofs like yours, reroofing them is more often than not an esthetic thing because the old roof looks so bad rather than being a fuctional thing where the roof is either leaking or about to.
Actually, I emailed my agent yet again to ask if I could use renters insurance, also told him I was given another agency to check.
I had gone back and forth with him at least 6 times and he was firm that he could not insure me and no one else would either. But this time...
Yes, he has renovation policies for 3,6,9 or 12 months.
He has no idea what difficulties he caused- it almost killed the deal. I am just shocked at this turn of events. Happy though!