Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-08-2010, 11:55 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Roof repitch help

I'm having my a small part of my roof repitched by a contractor. There was an area that was really part and it was causing leaks. I had them replace the roof, and also do the repitch so I dont have to worry about the same issue.

My concern is that Im not sure if the framing work on the repitch is good. Im concerned with the way the nailed the rafters to the headers.

Im not really versed in construction and my fears are just based on my observations, and some "common sense".

I'd appreciate your inputs on this matter.

Im attaching a bunch of pictures...

mtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:19 AM   #2
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 18

Roof repitch help

Well, based on the "blocking" I'm going to assume there was no permit or inspection. If it were then you probably wouldn't be here wondering if it was done properly because the inspector would have ensured that it was.

OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 09:25 AM   #3

Roof repitch help

Actually there is permit. I requested that all permits be obtained, but the contractor only mentioned roofing on the permit but they did not mention the repitch.

They finished the framing and roofing, but I wanted someone to take a look so I talked to the town about framing inspection, they said the contractor did not submit any drawing prior to getting the job done.

So the contractor submitted the necessary paper works, and the inspection was done on the framing a few days back, and the inspector gave an ok.

What do you mean by blocking?

Thanks.
Old 12-09-2010, 09:56 AM   #4
Mod

Rewards Points: 72

Roof repitch help

I don’t see how that could have passed a framing inspection. The rafters at the pitch change aren’t even bearing on that so called beam. What’s under the post? Are they just bearing on the roof deck? Everything I’m looking at is wrong.

Where are you located?
Old 12-09-2010, 10:03 AM   #5

Roof repitch help

Im located in NJ. The rafters(2x6) actually has a 2x4 behind it thats falls on top of the header. They spaced it wrong initially, and it was bouncy when you step on the roof, and so they "reinforced" it with the 2x6.

Post(short wood) is resting on the roof deck. Im not sure if it falls on a rafter underneath.
Old 12-09-2010, 10:21 AM   #6
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 18

Roof repitch help

From the pictures you posted it looks like a hillbilly framing job but we must not be seeing the whole thing. If the inspector ok'd it you should be alright. There should have been at least a nailer on the old roofdeck perpendicular with the new rafters. For such a short height, I would have ran a solid beam across the roofdeck and rested the rafters on it. I also can't believe he passed that cheesy blocking. They are going to split out eventually from weight and movement.

Last edited by OldNBroken; 12-09-2010 at 10:24 AM.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote