Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2007, 05:33 PM   #1

Share |

roof repair questions

Hi, first time home owner here....got a question about roof repair...

We've had extreme snow and ice here in ohio for the past month and a half, and coinciding with that has been a yellowish liquid running down my brick furnace chimney...it started about the time the snow started sticking to the roof

so i got a step ladder today and went up in the attic to have a look, it appears there is some water leaking through in a few spots where it looks like the subroof boards have cracked and lost a piece of wood here and there...

a little background - we had a bad hail storm here last summer and the seller refused to get his insurance company to check out the roof, and i did'nt get up in the attic before i bought - he did give me $600 tho for any repairs i might need

so anyway, many of the boards up there are damp slightly, which i think is just from the snow sitting up there for so long - most don't appear to have any rot or anything

but in a couple of places near the chimney the wood looks like it hasnt been in good shape for awhile, and is letting some water through which drips down the chimney, and it looks like a few sections of wood will need to be replaced, and the top of the rafter running along this wet area looks rotted, and will have to be replaced or fixed somehow...

is it common to require these kinds of patches and perhaps the odd rafter[COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important][/COLOR][/COLOR]replacement when getting a new roof? The roof is about 12 years old so is definitely coming up in its replacement, and the hail probably made it about time to get the roof done...

no water leaking anywhere else

how much do these types of repairs add to the cost? My house is very small, about 690 sq ft., and roof space is pretty minimal
Salvatorparadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:50 AM   #2

roof repair questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvatorparadise View Post
... many of the boards up there are damp slightly, which i think is just from the snow sitting up there for so long - most don't appear to have any rot or anything

...is it common to require these kinds of patches and perhaps the odd rafter replacement when getting a new roof?

how much do these types of repairs add to the cost? My house is very small, about 690 sq ft., and roof space is pretty minimal
If the attic is damp then there may be a bathroom vent that is not taking the moist air tot he outside of the house. Or you may not have proper venting in tha attic area for the roof. Do you have soffitt and ridges vents?

It is common to replace or repair wood that is not in good shape when the roof is torn off and replaced.

What type of roof do you have? shingles, wood or other

Is there plywood on the roof or wood planks?
redline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 08:22 PM   #3

roof repair questions

So basically are you saying that in the attic where the roof meets the chimney, there is dampness? Is this correct? I would assume that there is, but you might want to check if there is step flashing on the chimney. It would look like small pieces of sheet metal. You probably can only see the part where it is tied into the mortar of the chimney. If not installed properly or if the roofing job was not done correctly this can be a hot spot for leaks. I have done several jobs where this is the case. What is your timeline for a new roof? If its just the attic that is damp and only on the roof you may be okay for a while. If it is getting down into your ceiling of your living area, then that's a little bigger problem.

Cost. It all depends on what needs to be done. It might be a simple as putting some clear sealant around the chimney, to having to reroof and replace sheating. Obviously the later would cost more.
cibula11 is offline   Reply With Quote