Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #1

Share |
Question

Roof Rebuild Q's

Hello everyone. Before I purchased my house there was a sun room addition that was built onto it with a flat roof. Just recently, the roof started to leak through into my sun room. I really dislike the concept of having a roof with virtually no pitch, so I've decided to rebuild a better, pitched roof in its place. My issue is how to lay it out.

I'm going to attach a couple images I made that show both an aerial and side view of the roof in question. Please excuse my amateur paint skills!

Should I attach a ridge board to the wall underneath the window and run rafters from it? Do I need to place something underneath the ridge board so it can hold the weight of the rafters? How big do the rafters and ridge board have to be? I figured 2x6 for the rafters since it appears to be standard, but I don't know how to gauge the ridge board size. I've tried my best to research about roofing, but I have virtually no hands on experience with it so it's hard to visualize everything.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated!

aschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 11:11 PM   #2

Roof Rebuild Q's

There is no "standard" size for rafters. The width used is determined by the span, the longer the span the wider the joist used.

For a shallow pitched roof like your's all you would need is the next wider size for a ledger. EG 2 X6 rafter, use a 2 X 8 ledger.

That roof is going to need to sit about 6" below the windows to allow room for flashing and reduce splash back on the windows.

It's always best to have some over hang on the lower end of the roof.

I'd strongly suggest at least getting a contractor to dry this in for you if you have never cut rafters before. If it's done wrong you back to square one again.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote