Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-15-2009, 09:45 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

roof railing

need help, new home owner here.
I have a sunroom in the back of the house with a flat roof, 12x13feet. The roof can be accessed from one of the bedrooms and serves as a balcony also.
It was leaking water so we got a roofer who said its from the area where the railings were drilled into the roof. We removed the railings and patched all the holes, so far it seems to have stopped leaking. Now I have 2 questions:
can I cover the roof with vinyl flooring? In my mind, getting one big piece measured to the roof dimensions would be pretty and also help in covering the roof and avoid water seeping. The roofer and a guy at homedepot said it should be fine.

My other question is, what railing solution are there without needing to drill holes in my roof. This was what started the leak and I really do not want to drill any holes in my flat roof.

Thanks

dudemeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:01 AM   #2

roof railing

I do not think your average off the shelf vinyl floor will withstand the outdoor elements long term. I knwo in bathrooms the vinyl flooring will start to curl in the corner if exposed to moistuire off & on.
I'm sure there are solutions like a vinyl floor that can be used

Where are you located? Snow load...wet weather etc

My railing is bolted to the outside rim joist around the edge of the deck
Was your railing bolted down into the roof, or on a bracket?

Do you know if the roof was originally designed as a roof deck?
Or modified after that fact?

Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 11:43 AM   #3

roof railing

Thanks for your reply.
I live in Cleveland Ohio, so lots of snow and rain. I don't know if the roof was originally designed as a roof deck (I should probably contact the previous owner)

Bolted on the edge? do you mean you have holes drilled in? thats what I'm trying to avoid. I would assume if there's a way to hold the railing on the edge (something like 'grasping/hooking' to the edge of the roof) that should be good enough. I will not use the railings anyway to hold on or even touch them, I just want something on the edges.

And with the railings on the edge it should hold the vynil down a bit. If not I will redo the vinyl every 1-2years (only costs like 60 US dollars)
dudemeister is offline   Reply With Quote