Roof Rafter Rot Fix - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-18-2011, 10:05 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

roof rafter rot fix

Fixing up my camp shack, question about the roof.

As you can see in the pictures, I have about 3 rafters with some rot and a couple of pieces of the roofing wood itself with some rot.

How can I go about fixing this/stabilizing this without tearing up the entire roof?

I was thinking maybe run another piece of wood directly along/attached to the portion of good rafter on the rafters that have rot as the entire rafter is not rotted just sections.

Keep in mind this is just my camp shack - no water, electricity. I don't want to go crazy just maybe stabilize it better. The roof is actually pretty solid - I can walk on it (though I did not try to walk over the areas where the rafter rot are) and it does not leak.

thanks
Attached Thumbnails
roof rafter rot fix-dscn2477.jpg   roof rafter rot fix-dscn2478.jpg   roof rafter rot fix-dscn2468.jpg  

Advertisement

snosurfa7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 2,832

roof rafter rot fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by snosurfa7 View Post
Fixing up my camp shack, question about the roof.

As you can see in the pictures, I have about 3 rafters with some rot and a couple of pieces of the roofing wood itself with some rot.

How can I go about fixing this/stabilizing this without tearing up the entire roof?

I was thinking maybe run another piece of wood directly along/attached to the portion of good rafter on the rafters that have rot as the entire rafter is not rotted just sections.

Keep in mind this is just my camp shack - no water, electricity. I don't want to go crazy just maybe stabilize it better. The roof is actually pretty solid - I can walk on it (though I did not try to walk over the areas where the rafter rot are) and it does not leak.

thanks
No bigger than that is I would cut some decking to go on the underside and sister rafters beside the bad ones, I would cut the tail of the new rafter to sit on top of the ceiling joist there at the top plate. I would scab the rafter next to the new one to hold up the decking the sister on the other side so the tail could sit on the ceiling joist. That looks like oak rafters and decking so it may be kinda hard to nail.

Just had another thought, if the roofing nails go through the bottom of the decking, be sure to bend them over or cut them off before putting the new decking up under there or you will have new leaks from the nails being pushed up into the roofing.

I bet that place is cold and the walls sweat in the winter.

Advertisement

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim

Last edited by BigJim; 05-18-2011 at 11:18 AM.
BigJim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 07:26 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

roof rafter rot fix

Thanks for the reply. I'll give that a try.

Have not stayed there in the winter yet, just 3 seasons - cinder block is actually quite comfortable in the summer, cooler than a stick built shack. Need to line the chimney and put a wood stove in there (which it used to have at one time) but I want to get the roof around the chimney up to par before I do this...

thanks!
snosurfa7 is offline   Reply With Quote