DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Roof Problems!!!

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  AaronB 
#1 ·
Ok not to sure if I am in the right area or not. We moved into our Condo in October of 04", before moving in we had the brand new gut re-hab inspected and the inspector found that the roof had standing water on it, we pointed this out in the punch list as something that needs to be fixed, I think the term is re-pitched (has not been dont, easy to see its not draining properly)? Its a 3 unit Condo with us being on the top floor, slopes down from the front to the back at about 10 degree angle or maybe a little more. Heavy snow in Jan lead to a nice leak into the master bedroom in through the ceiling via the connecting bathroom door jam(?) having several spots forming and leaking water, water spots on the ceiling and the drywall tape was exposed, floor was a little warped with some spots. The contractor said that they would fix it, but what he did was come over and try and seal the roof, and then they waited to fix the inside for about a month and then saying that the floor would be back to normal after the wood dried out. Ok so we think that we are ok at this point, drywall seemed to dry out enough to not warrant replacing so they sanded it down and repainted, floor I was going to live with.

Heavy storms last night and the same problem shows up, leaks coming through the wood door jam, you can see the ceiling tape coming through, and a slow leak is coming through the ceiling, floor looks like it has some water marks on it again even though the leak is not directly hitting the floor, like its going down the inside of the wall and settling on the floor.

What do i do first, the contractor is just going to go up and try and reseal the roof or find the spot, i dont have a ladder to get up there and see if there is standing water on there or not. We dont trust this guy to fix this problem properly and we want to make sure it gets done right this time, what are your suggestions, he is not going to want to pay someone to repitch the roof as this will cost way to much, will we have to take him to court? Is it unevitable that there is inside damage behind the walls and he did not address this the first time so is he going to do it this time, is this possible that there is internal damage? The rest of the units are not realizing the overall problem that if this isn't taken care of properly it will be a huge assesment down the road. Oh yeah the kicker, when the it first happened he said that the roof was out of warranty, when we closed he said everything had a 1 year warranty, but the roof was done 2 years ago. Please help!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hello & welcome to the board!

Key thing here is has everything been documented? As in all communications between you & this contractor, exactly when the problem occurred, etc. If not, at this point given the work was performed 2 yrs ago you say & had only a 1 yr warranty (?) you can talk to your lawyer, but IMO your chances of getting any satisfaction from this guy are slim.

As far as a ladder, you can rent them for a few dollars for a 1/2 day to get up there so you can take a look first hand. Many rental yards will also deliver items if you don't have a way to haul a 40' ladder.

Best of luck!

#5 ·
Clockwork, how did this situation work out for you? Were you able to finda cheapo contractor?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.