Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-19-2007, 02:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

roof over porch

I want to put a roof over an existing front porch. Do I need to tear the exsisting roof down to the trusses? Or is there an easier way? the porch is 15x8

rodg2915 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 07:20 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 25

roof over porch

search,this was just discussed

roofwiz74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:51 AM   #3

roof over porch

I'm not replacing a roof. I'm going to build on. The current porch has NO covering. I am looking to put one on. So my question is can I nail the trusses thru the exsisting roof or do I have to strip it down to the original trusses??
Old 03-20-2007, 12:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

roof over porch

If you are going that far I would check for cracks or termite damage, water damage etc. I would play it safe, I once tore off a porch roof and found a tin roof underneath, everyone said just go over it, I said rip it off, good thing, the beams were all damaged and cracked, and needed to be replaced or reinforced...better safe than sorry, and at least you will have peace of mind.
Dont forget to use some peel and stick waterproof rubber sheeting under the shingles (archetectual shingles cost a couple dollars more but are definately the way to go), you need to overlap it starting at the bottom of the roof with the next layer overlapping the one underneath, careful its slippery when you stand on it. If you do this you new roof will last longer and be very sturdy, and dont forget to let some rubber and shingles hang over the sides, of the roof, usually 3-4 inches is good. Add a gutter, on the bottom of the roof let the shingles lap into the gutter and then your all set... Hope you found this helpful.... Good Luck

Ps. Metal Tecos are very good and save some time. They are used to join your beams together and make them much sturdier.
Woodpecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 06:49 PM   #5

roof over porch

some folks don't tear it off they just strip enough to find the trusses.Me?I'd go ahead an strip it so it wouldn't be in the way.
sry about the search,but I know it was discussed recently also.It gets old reading the same things over and over again cuz sonmeone won't search.I do,hell I like to just browse old threads and read.figure if I can do it....
Old 03-20-2007, 11:05 PM   #6
www.thompsonSroofing.com

roof over porch

no you dont have to tear roof down, you can connect to the wall or concrete. but check your codes in your area

ThompsonSroofing
johnt1029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:49 PM   #7
Commercial Roofing

Rewards Points: 500

roof over porch

I say if youre sick of discussing, then dont discuss...but rudeness doesnt become you.
Seamless Polyurea Roofing Membranes for Metal Roofing, Roof Leak Repair, Seamless Commercial Spray Foam Insulation, Seamless Commercial Roofing, SPF Roofing, Industrial Insulation, Our trucks are red but our roofing is GREEN!
AaronB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2007, 11:59 PM   #8
www.thompsonSroofing.com

roof over porch

nice website
Old 03-21-2007, 08:01 AM   #9

roof over porch

I'm not discussing.I'm giving advice,which was to search.
Old 03-21-2007, 08:58 AM   #10
www.thompsonSroofing.com

roof over porch

lighten up buddy, you are not showing great patience , i cant imagine your customer service. i dont see anyone getting hostile at you to warent your arrangant and aggresive demeanor.
Old 03-21-2007, 05:15 PM   #11
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

roof over porch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodg2915 View Post
I want to put a roof over an existing front porch. Do I need to tear the exsisting roof down to the trusses? Or is there an easier way? the porch is 15x8
Proper way is to tear down to the house's rafters. Then tie in the new porch rafters to these.
Attach the new rafters to the sides of the home's rafters as they sit (nailed) on the top plate of the wall for support.

Some, may say that you could just tear down to the roof sheathing and 'sleeper' the new porch rafters ontop of the home's roof and outward to create the structure for the porch roof.
But even if you sat the porch rafters directly over the house's rafters, the whole thing 'could' end up 'racking' slightly to one side, with a heavy load, wind, etc...

Last edited by AtlanticWBConst.; 03-21-2007 at 05:17 PM. Reason: spelling
AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 12:21 AM   #12

roof over porch

come on,everyone of you guys on here know how easy it is to search.
by the way my customer service is great.I just don't see any sense in helping someone who won't help themselves.it's here and it's easy.SEARCH
Old 03-27-2007, 12:23 AM   #13

roof over porch

and you are right the internet has taught me not to have patience with people not willing to use it.
Old 03-27-2007, 07:45 AM   #14

roof over porch

Listen "RoofWiz" I used the search tool and I did not find exactly what I was looking for. I do help myself and I did not ask anyone to do anything out of the ordinary. I am quite certain I did not force your hands to type or even open this post. I am even more certain that you are in the minority of 'advice givers' on this cite that are annoyed by repeat post. You remind me of people than complain about things on TV and radio. If it upsets you move along not a single person is forcing you to respond to this particular thread.

For everyone else I appreciate that you have the time for the 'little people' known as DIYers to submit your thoughts and suggestions with little to no complaint.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:56 AM   #15
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler

Rewards Points: 2,000

roof over porch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodg2915 View Post
For everyone else I appreciate that you have the time for the 'little people' known as DIYers to submit your thoughts and suggestions with little to no complaint.
-That's what we are here for....

AtlanticWBConst. is offline   Reply With Quote