Roof Over Need Vents? - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2009, 09:01 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

roof over need vents?

We have a metal roof-over on a mobile home that was raised 18" on back side slopingdown to the front and has vented sofit all the way around on 3 sides. The man did not put the plumbing pipe vents through the roof He said because it was open all around the bottom we wouldn't need them and the ends are closed in. I notice we get a lot of ice build up and it hangs off a foot or more and gets really thick and heavy. The snow stays on where as other mobiles with a peek roof or higher slope like ours it slides off. Last year shut heat down were not here in the winter but worry about the heavy ice on the addition too. It slopes off the back side just below the 18 inch rise and has no vents either.
Do I need whirrly vents put in or can I try and vent the ends? Are the hotwater and sink vents causing the ice build up?
Ontario Canada
jg

Advertisement

jgreaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 10:00 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

roof over need vents?

I just saw this same situation at a house( 2 trailers put side by side with peeked roof attached) out here in Alberta. It had been 5 years since the roof had been put on and ther was rot and mold everywhere on the sheeting and even the 2x4 trusses were half eaten away by the mold. All of the roof vents should have been plumbed out of that attic space.(your new peeked roof) And yes that is why there is so much ice build up on your eves. With your vents trapped inside the new roof all of the sewer gas, condensation, and whatevere else is trapped inside that area. Soffit isn't designed to vent it is designed for air movement. You should find the guy that did this modification and let him bunk under the roof for a day or 2.

Advertisement

bronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 05:28 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

roof over need vents?

Dear Bronco
Mold is exactly what I was afraid of. Just happens there is a mobile in the park getting a new steel roof so the guy said he would come and give me a price. I'll let you know what he said.
jg
jgreaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 09:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

roof over need vents?

That would be good thanks, and good luck.
bronco2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mobile home , roof over , roof vents , steel roof