DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Roof over bay window

3K views 0 replies 1 participant last post by  jjo 
#1 ·
Hi, I own an older house, built in 1949. Its getting to look a little rough on the exterior and I suspect I am getting some water infiltration, so this summer I am working on addressing many of these problems. I ordered a new window for my dormer and I plan to replace the ugly siding, paint the fascia, etc. I was looking at the bay window and I have several problems with it. For one, I had the windows brickmould wrapped and the contractors left about a 3" gap between the lip of the aluminum and the roof sheathing, so that needs to be fixed, and I don't like the step flashing and counter-flashing in the brick and generally I don't think the whole set up looks good with the dormer above it. So I thought that I would extend the roof line across the bottom of the dormer and then remove the old bay window roof, extend the sides of the bay window upward until it intersects with an extended main roof line. Now, of course, I want to make sure this is a plausible idea and not something that turns out to be a mess, so I thought I would post on this forum to see what others think about this idea before I start destroying the current roof and everything else. Am I out to lunch or does this look like a good solution? I think I added a picture to show you the current set up and another for my idea. If they don't post I'll try again. Thanks to any and all that reply!

Jon

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.