Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-18-2011, 09:16 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Cool

Roof over the backyard

Hi,
Newbie here...
I have a 1000 square feet of backyard space that I would like to cover. There is a 2 and 3 story building on 2 sides that look directly down on my property so I get ZERO privacy. Thinking the best way to cover the entire are....ie...Pergolas, Roof, etc. Would love to covert to a kids play area, possibly a pool table, workout area, sitting.
Any feedback would be great.
Thanks
DanMat

DanMat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:21 AM   #2

Wink

Roof over the backyard

Hi there, also a newbie in this forum. Just got married and now planning to build a new house. I think that's a nice plan you have there. Don't forget to post pictures after that beautiful house project of yours.

roofingpreston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:12 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,006

Roof over the backyard

Post pictures of what's existing -
too many variables/factors for anyone to give you feedback.
Welcome!

rossfingal
rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 09:21 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

Roof over the backyard

Might want to consult your building department. There are "coverage" requirements for specific land-uses and also setback from adjacent properties for fire codes. While a great idea in theory, you might not be able to do it because of zoning restrictions.

Point of reference: http://www.newfairfield.org/filestor...0-1-09_(3).pdf

Specifically look at section 1.5.8 subsection C. I've done work in this City and they allow no more than 25% coverage of the lots in their "residential" zone. So a 1,000 sq.ft. home would need a 4,000sq.ft. lot.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:00 PM   #5

Roof over the backyard

Hi
Thanks for the response. I will not be able to to this because of the codes, this I know from the beginning. But I thought since I'm not moving anywhere and intend to stay here for the duration, I would go ahead and build it anyway. So that said, any other ideas. Thinking of just a triangle fabric shade, but really want something more secure so I could use it year round and be comfortable. If I have to tear it down, maybe I could make so it comes apart easily..
Thanks
Old 08-22-2011, 03:24 PM   #6
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,082

Roof over the backyard

So let me make sure I understand. You KNOW that it is illegal to do what you want to do, but since you are planning to stay there a while, you plan to DO IT anyway. And your neighbors look straight down at your property. So I certainly hope that all of your neighbors like you a lot, because if one of them doesn't, they just might report you to the building inspector, who might not be 100% amused that you KNOWINGLY violated the rules. So go ahead, put up a roof over the whole property, what could possibly go wrong?
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 03:37 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 500

Roof over the backyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanMat View Post
Hi
Thanks for the response. I will not be able to to this because of the codes, this I know from the beginning. But I thought since I'm not moving anywhere and intend to stay here for the duration, I would go ahead and build it anyway.
That is the most ignorant and selfish statement I've seen on here to date. This approach is NOT recommended and totally shunned.

As for your other ideas, a fabric canopy type system could be utilized as it is a mobile and temporary system. There are a ton of available styles and types.

On a side note, if privacy is that much of an issue for you, why not consider moving? It's like living in an apartment and not-wanting to hear your neighbors. It just doesn't work that way. Either you accept the fact you're going to hear them, or you move somewhere you won't.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:13 PM   #8

Roof over the backyard

Hi,
I don't want to get in trouble for sure. So I'm really hoping to make something that would come apart easily, and not impact my neighbors.
Thanks

Tags
pergola constuction, roof