Roof Options For A Bay Area - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Roof options for a bay area

I have a bay area for the dining room, on the front of the house. It is 10 feet from one side to the other, along the main part of the wall. (I apologize as I do not know the correct terminology to describe this.)
Facing the front of the house, the left wall of the bay is 36", the front of the bay is 68", and the right wall is 36". Each wall has a good sized window. The bay starts about 48" above the ground, and extends upwards for 105". Above the bay roof will be 6 feet of rock siding, in a gable end with a 12" overhang.
The current bay roof was done in cedar, but the cedar was in tough shape, I believe due to the large number of trees that block most of the sun to that area.

What are the options for a roof for the bay? I know I could redo cedar. I am guessing copper and probably asphalt shingles are also options. Are there any other options?
I want it to look good. I will have rock on the face of the main wall and gable. I will have Cedar Impressions siding on the bay, and the windows will all be trimmed out in 5/4 x 4" PVC trim boards.

I will need to work on getting low res photos to post. Hopefully these thumbnails will show okay. I have included a view of the porch that I have done with the rock and pvc.
Attached Thumbnails
Roof options for a bay area-1325194380113.jpg   Roof options for a bay area-1322154002042.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by Golfnut_NC; 01-06-2012 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Added Photos
Golfnut_NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:04 AM   #2
Shut in w/o Home

Rewards Points: 500

***link removed by moderator***

I wasn't trying to pimp my wares - just trying to help the OP. I don't know of and couldn't find any competing products or I would have listed them as well. Sorry if I broke a rule.

Advertisement

Last edited by seeyou; 01-08-2012 at 10:48 AM.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #3
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,038

Copper is my material of choice. It'll last as long as the house, imho.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:57 AM   #4
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 3,232

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner666 View Post
Copper is my material of choice. It'll last as long as the house, imho.
+1

Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:28 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 178

If you want the cedar look again, you could use Enviroshake, which is a aynthetic product that looks just like cedar but has a 50 year warranty.
mgp roofing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:24 AM   #6

thanks Tinner and Wow. Copper sure takes care of the no maintenance requirement. I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what the pricing would be for a bay window roof. I would guess it is around 22 sq feet.

Thanks mpg. I will look into Enviroshake.

I have done some research on Copper roofing installs, and it appears to me that the install process is fairly complex. Even though it is a small roof, I'm not sure I could tackle that, and do it right.
I have never put down a cedar roof either, but I do have a good idea on how to do it, and am sure with some research I can get it right. But the area is too shady, and I think the moss problem will come right back. I would like a low to no maintenance solution.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:32 PM   #7
Pro Slate Roofer

The siding needs to be loosened/removed as necessary for an ideal job. I'd be around $3,500. to $4,300., turn key on that one by timed it was painted where the siding is damaged or replaced.

Here's a recent tin roof in detail so you can see how it's done. http://www.albertsroofing.com/Tin%20Roofing%20photo_gallery.htm
The Following User Says Thank You to tinner666 For This Useful Post:
Golfnut_NC (01-10-2012)
Old 01-10-2012, 10:08 PM   #8

thanks again tinner.
I am replacing that siding on the bay with vinyl cedar shake siding. The brick mold on the windows has been removed, and I am replacing with 5/4x4" PVC trim and stops. A rabbit cut is made in the trim to accept the cedar shake siding. On both sides of the bay, I will be putting up the same rock that I did on the porch. That rock will extend up into the gable end as well, so creating a rock arch around the bay.

The siding is already off, and I have replaced the brown board sheathing with 1/2" plywood. I assume having done all of this would only save $500 or so off the range you mentioned for copper, which would still put me out more than I want to spend on the roof. (I have a second bay on the back of the house that I would like to match, if I can do it for the right price.)

So this would basically be a new install, with complete access to the wall for flashing, and a plywood roof substrate. Roughly 25 sq ft of copper on the bay roof. If that changes the price range significantly, please let me know, but I doubt it will make much difference.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:13 PM   #9

Checked out the Enviroshake roofing, and it looks interesting. I do see some US installs, so it appears the product is available in the US. Whether or not I can get it in NC remains to be seen. The other issue is, even if I did both bays and used it on the roof/wall area around the dormers, it all adds up to only 130 sq ft. Not much of an order.

CertainTeed has a Presidential shingle that has a cedar look. Has anyone seen that installed? Does it look like cedar, or does it look like a shingle, imitating cedar?
Old 01-10-2012, 10:29 PM   #10
Pro Slate Roofer

My price would drop a lot with everything open. Getting the siding off and on, maybe with trim work can get involved.
If you were here, and I could do it for $2,000. since you're doing all the other grunt work.
I got a call today to go south just to evaluate one on the coast. That trip is costing them $2,000. without me even knowing if I'll bid the job.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:32 PM   #11
Pro Slate Roofer

bTW, be sure and run the plywood all the way out so the crown is against it. Otherwise, the dripedge detail won't work and you'll have to redo it. And don't make it too floppy out there on the edge either! The DE needs to be nailed 4" oc for high winds.

Advertisement

Last edited by tinner666; 01-10-2012 at 10:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to tinner666 For This Useful Post:
Golfnut_NC (01-10-2012)