Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-06-2012, 05:58 PM   #1

Share |

Roof or not to roof * HELP*!!

We are in the middle of having our roof replaced due to storm damage.After going through the BBB, we thought we had found one. I have had to pull the boys off the roof because of no permit. I then discovered my house had been covered in 15 lb felt when we and insurance are paying for 30lb. My yard is short of a mess from delivery trucks crushing sidewalks and ground. They are way way behind and have 2 jobs waiting on them when they finish mine. I have since discovered that this fellow has yet to renew his license and is not current with the BBB. I am feeling pretty foolish that we do not have a copy of his insurance or now even if he is bonded. Am I over reacting due to a prior burn? We are not sure what to do or how to go about it.
SIncerely ,
Intimidated

Brenda T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:17 PM   #2

I've never heard of anyone having to get a permit for a shingle job or a bond. Bonds most oten are for much bigger or commercial jobs.
Unless there a member of the BBB why would they be registered.
It's one thing if the contracted stated 30 lb. felt but just as often 15 lb. is used.
Do you have a signed contract with this guy as to what materials he would use?
It was up to you to ask for his insurance cert.
Little late to be asking all these questions. He may just move on to the next job.

Last edited by joecaption; 01-06-2012 at 06:19 PM.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 06:29 PM   #3
Disabled wood vet

Wait till he's done. If you're not happy in the end, don't pay him his final draw.
If you must redo it, take him to court.
But don't pull him off in the middle of it. He hasn't done anything to warrant firing him, and you don't want a half-roofed roof while you negotiate with him or a new roofer.

Sent from a Samsung Galaxy S2
titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to titanoman For This Useful Post:
tinner666 (01-06-2012)
Old 01-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #4
Pro Slate Roofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanoman View Post
Wait till he's done. If you're not happy in the end, don't pay him his final draw.
If you must redo it, take him to court.
But don't pull him off in the middle of it. He hasn't done anything to warrant firing him, and you don't want a half-roofed roof while you negotiate with him or a new roofer.

I second this. Take pictures of everything, including the sub-par felt, the shingles to verify he's using what's being paid for, any details of the roof you can see, et al.
If it comes to a suit, you'll need all this. Don't pay too soon either. Be satisfied first!
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
MJW

No license, no permit.....turn him in! Take pics of everything that they wrecked on your property.

Does your state require bonding? It's not required here in MN, but we must have license, insurance, and a permit for anything we do.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:19 PM   #6

In the area I live, roofing requires a permit. If he didn't get one to begin with, maybe he is into cutting corners. If your contract says 30# felt, tell him you want 30# felt. Will your insurance agent help you? He probably doesn't have an obligation since you have already had a claim. He may just help from a customer service stand point.
Also any damage caused by the crew doing the work is the contractors responsibility to repair.
packer_rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 08:57 PM   #7

Perhaps I am missing something here.

What does him not being registered with the BBB have anything to do with him not knowing how to roof?

Are you certain it is 15# felt? Was 30# contracted for?

Is it necessary to pull a permit for a roof where you live? Here we have different rules for every different town. Some need permits and some don't. You don't need a license either if you plan to never pull a permit.

Bonds are VERY rare for residential projects.

Why does the carelessness of the supply & dumpster company have any reflection on the type of work he performs?
ParagonEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #8

Thank you for your replies.
In our city you must have a permit.
According to the BBB, job over $10,000K requires insurance and bonding I believe and some additional license that they blurted off where they have to take classes of some sort. I asked him in the beginning if he had these things and assured me he did.
If not, any damages or accidents happened on our property, the city inspector said we could be responsible
Yes, his job proposal clearly stated 30 lb felt.

I am trying to give the benefit of the doubt on everything so far. They are not even a 1/3 into the job and already trying to wrap this up because 2 other jobs await.

I can't get the the guy still long enough to address "changes in plans" as one of you mentioned in cutting corners. He has an excuse or leaves the very nice crew to address any and all issues.They are frustrated as well.. Lack of communication and that's not fair to us or them. Certainly not taking it out on them. Just want us all on the same page and get what was bid.

And you are absolutely right, I do not want a half roofed home.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:04 PM   #9

The BBB comes into play because yes, he is registered with them. Regarding the felt,mixed run of shingles etc,
is it my job to make sure to check in inventory as it is delivered or to be there when it is ordered? I was in retail sales and merchandising far too many years to know better than that. That falls on the squarely on the shoulders of the one who ordered it. My husband is part owner of his company and over the construction. You,( in this case contractor) check that P.O that you have made with the supplier, they call it back to to make sure all is right and order once. Isn't it the same principal as measure twice, cut once?
Had the contractor been here, a lot of this either would have been caught if it was an honest mistake. Otherwise, we nor the insurance company would have been none the wiser. There is no dumpster company on our property. It's a trailer. It hasn't been the problem. It was the trucks delivering the shingles, felt and supplies. This too was left up to the little crew boss.
Again, I am trying to give the benefit of the doubt,and chalk this all up to honest mistakes. We are all human and I know we can be off our game occasionally.
Old 01-07-2012, 12:10 AM   #10
Disabled wood vet

I think you are thinking exactly right.

titanoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenda T
The BBB comes into play because yes, he is registered with them. Regarding the felt,mixed run of shingles etc,
is it my job to make sure to check in inventory as it is delivered or to be there when it is ordered? I was in retail sales and merchandising far too many years to know better than that. That falls on the squarely on the shoulders of the one who ordered it. My husband is part owner of his company and over the construction. You,( in this case contractor) check that P.O that you have made with the supplier, they call it back to to make sure all is right and order once. Isn't it the same principal as measure twice, cut once?
Had the contractor been here, a lot of this either would have been caught if it was an honest mistake. Otherwise, we nor the insurance company would have been none the wiser. There is no dumpster company on our property. It's a trailer. It hasn't been the problem. It was the trucks delivering the shingles, felt and supplies. This too was left up to the little crew boss.
Again, I am trying to give the benefit of the doubt,and chalk this all up to honest mistakes. We are all human and I know we can be off our game occasionally.
You never said anything about the wrong shingles.

The job site foreman should have a list of all materials that should be delivered in order to ensure the proper materials are there.

The trucks delivering the shingles really has nothing to do with roofing company. Earlier in 2010, we had a driveway (supposably) damaged by the supply company. I paid to repair it to the tune of 3k. The homeowner then took two months to pay me. I learned a lot from then, especially taking pictures.

Wouldn't you know it, two other people said we damaged the driveway until pictures proved otherwise.

So the major concern you have regarding the roof is the felt, correct?
Old 01-07-2012, 09:20 AM   #12
MJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParagonEx View Post

So the major concern you have regarding the roof is the felt, correct?

What about the possibility of the "boys" on this person's roof with no insurance?

What about breaking the law with no permit and an outdated license?

I see plenty of problems here and the lack of the Contractor's communication would put me over the edge.

I'm usually on the side of the Contractor, but this sounds like a run of the mill storm chasing outfit.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:28 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW

What about the possibility of the "boys" on this person's roof with no insurance?

What about breaking the law with no permit and an outdated license?

I see plenty of problems here and the lack of the Contractor's communication would put me over the edge.

I'm usually on the side of the Contractor, but this sounds like a run of the mill storm chasing outfit.
Right, it's a "possibility" they don't have insurance, we don't know this. The BBB also told a customer I needed a permit for their roof, which I didn't. She said she "believes" they told her they need a permit. She needs to contact her city or town hall for this information and not the BBB.

I see what could be potential problems that could either become legitimate or not with some proper research.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:55 AM   #14

Look on the bright side, you're getting a free roof*- and the grass will grow back.

*Save for someone uninsured falling off and suing you, or shoddy workmanship leading to costly repair bills. Those are the things we warn our customers about, the former due to the potential, and the latter because it's so common. Many (many, many, especially if it's a storm environment) people are in the same situation, but just don't know it. Heck, it's odd these days to see a local crew on the roof and think 'those guys all look insured', let alone a traveling storm crew.

I have no idea what the process of switching contractors mid-claim involves, but i'd imagine it's a real PITA. Out of curiosity, did you get other estimates that were perhaps more than the insurance was willing to pay- but go with the one that required no out of pocket expense?
jmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #15

I agree with taking all the pictures you can. Be friendly about it " I just want to record what a big job this was and how it all went", something non confrontational like that.

As far as a permit goes, where I live, the HOMEOWNER is responsible for the permit, not the contractor! If you tell the contractor to start, they ASSUME you got the permit.

Call your local town or city hall, and ask for the building inspector to come out. If it's a fly by night operation, they will be very intimidated when the code guy comes out. Maybe the code guy has heard of these people and can advise you as well....and if they're doing it wrong, a code guy is the perfect one to say "stop, and do it right".

Good luck.

dougp23 is offline   Reply With Quote