Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-21-2013, 09:24 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Roof membrane removal

Hello,
I am about to change the new roof with shingles. One of the contractors told me that he won't remove the existing 3' roofing membrane, because it is glued to the wood; otherwise he needs to remove the whole wood, and he has to charge more. He simply just puts the new membrane on top of the old one. Is he right?
Many thanks,
D.

homedummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:28 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,110

Roof membrane removal

Are you talking about Storm and Ice Shield?
If so there's no good reason to remove it.
I think I would still go over it with at least some 15 felt so there's no old exposed nail holes just to be safe.
And it's cheap and fast to redo it.

homedummy (04-21-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
Roofmaster

Rewards Points: 2,030

Roof membrane removal

I have no idea what you mean. Do you mean that you have an existing roof consisting of rolled roofing, and you want to install asphalt shingles as the new roofing system? Where do you live, What is the slope of the roof?, and What is the configuration?

Generally speaking it is unwise to stick any type of roofing directly to wood, as wood moves a great deal under thermal change, but lets hear specifically what you have.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
homedummy (04-21-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 518

Roof membrane removal

Provided all the old shingles are pried out of it and it is relatively smooth it's fine. Like joecaption said, just make sure they at least cover it with felt.
Now I'm confused. Is he considering not ripping up the sheeting because he doesn't want to or did he give you a price and you don't want to pay the extra? Big difference.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldNBroken For This Useful Post:
homedummy (04-21-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #5

Roof membrane removal

Hi,
Yeah, it sounds like ice shield, which is at the bottom edge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Are you talking about Storm and Ice Shield?
If so there's no good reason to remove it.
I think I would still go over it with at least some 15 felt so there's no old exposed nail holes just to be safe.
And it's cheap and fast to redo it.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:25 PM   #6

Roof membrane removal

Hi,
Just to change the existing old shingle roof. 8/12. Simple roof with 2 sides only.
Because I have no idea of roofing system, and not removing all old stuff (ie old membrane for ice shield) worry me.
Thanks for your comments
D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jagans View Post
I have no idea what you mean. Do you mean that you have an existing roof consisting of rolled roofing, and you want to install asphalt shingles as the new roofing system? Where do you live, What is the slope of the roof?, and What is the configuration?

Generally speaking it is unwise to stick any type of roofing directly to wood, as wood moves a great deal under thermal change, but lets hear specifically what you have.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #7
Roofmaster

Roof membrane removal

OK so you have an existing asphalt shingle roof that has reached the end of its useful life, and you have existing ice dams at the eaves that the roofer wants to leave. I would tear off everything but the ice dams flashing, which I would overlay with a fresh roll of High temperature ice dams flashing to 2 feet inside the exterior wall line. There is no need to remove the existing ice dams material, but I would not depend on it to self heal where the nails are removed from it at this age. A second layer over will not hurt anything, and will seal the new nails well.

If deflection is noted in the deck after the shingles are removed, further investigation is advised to see if there is any deck damage.

For the record, the generic name and function of the material, which is a peel and stick SBS Rubber Modified Asphalt, is Ice Dams Flashing. The original Manufacturer of the product was WR Grace, and their product is called Ice and Water Shield.

Last edited by jagans; 04-21-2013 at 08:54 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
homedummy (04-21-2013)
Old 04-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #8
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 518

Roof membrane removal

For what record? I've never once heard it called Ice Dams Flashing until now. Guess I just haven't been around long enough.
OldNBroken is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:30 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 75

Roof membrane removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNBroken View Post
For what record? I've never once heard it called Ice Dams Flashing until now. Guess I just haven't been around long enough.
Don't feel bad, me either.

But it's just what we call ice and water shield, or just ice and water. Most manufacturers allow you to go over an existing layer 1 time. But felt or titanium over it will do just fine as long as they are carefull when stripping the roof.
jsbuilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:36 PM   #10
Roofmaster

Roof membrane removal

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNBroken View Post
You are correct. It has been changed by the NRCA to "Ice Dams Protection Membrane"

In the original Steep Roofing Manual it was called "Ice Dams Flashing"

I like to use NRCA terminology in specifications as it is arguably the leading authority on things relating to all types of roofing.

I was just trying to get us all singing from the same song book. "For the Record" must have sounded rather ego-obnoxious, to coin a phrase, sorry.