Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2012, 08:08 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

roof melt

Hi, I was hoping to get some advice on insulating my attic.

My home is about ten years old, and it was built with the minimum amount of loose pink insulation in the attic to meet code. In the first few years here, I went into the attic several times to do some simple wiring. I didn't realize how much that would disturb the insulation, and how much the peaks and valleys that I created from moving the insulation around might affect heat loss. So, last year, I rented one of those insulation blowers from Home Depot and blew in a few more inches of insulation; made sure it was level.

We've had several really bad winters in a row in Cleveland. I've gotten ice dams on the roof (east side, back of the house), that have led to water damage a few times. I've been trying to figure out how best to prevent this (iceguard, wires, extending the soffit, checking the baffles, etc.). But, for now, I just wanted to see if the added insulation would help, and how it would hold up in less severe winter condition (so far, this winter it's been pretty moderate).

I've been watching the roof melt for clues to heat loss. So far, I still seem to be losing heat from one particular location.

It's the spot on the right that I'm trying to figure out. Underneath that spot is a bathroom. The right edge of the spot is a wall (the room goes all the way just to the left of the double windows). Directly underneath that spot is a heat duct and a vent with a fan. Because of the heat duct, the bathroom gets pretty warm in the winter, especially when the door is left closed. So, thinking that this may encourage heat loss, this winter I closed the heat duct in that room. It doesn't seem to have helped though.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions.... things to look for, troubleshooting... for why I'm losing heat there and how to correct it?

dipdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:19 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,944

roof melt

Before you added more insulation you did add foam baffles to allow air flow through the soffits right?
There is no mention of what part of the world you live in, if you look on the right hand side of the page and go to where your name is in blue and hit that you could add your location for better ansewers.
http://www.energystar.gov/index.cfm?...sulation_table

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 08:46 AM   #3

roof melt

thx. yes, side-by-side baffles from the soffit to the roof vent were part of the original construction.
I'm in Cleveland, Ohio.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:49 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 514

roof melt

Where is the fart fan going out the roof?
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,420

roof melt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipdog View Post
Hi, I was hoping to get some advice on insulating my attic.

My home is about ten years old, and it was built with the minimum amount of loose pink insulation in the attic to meet code. In the first few years here, I went into the attic several times to do some simple wiring. I didn't realize how much that would disturb the insulation, and how much the peaks and valleys that I created from moving the insulation around might affect heat loss. So, last year, I rented one of those insulation blowers from Home Depot and blew in a few more inches of insulation; made sure it was level.

We've had several really bad winters in a row in Cleveland. I've gotten ice dams on the roof (east side, back of the house), that have led to water damage a few times. I've been trying to figure out how best to prevent this (iceguard, wires, extending the soffit, checking the baffles, etc.). But, for now, I just wanted to see if the added insulation would help, and how it would hold up in less severe winter condition (so far, this winter it's been pretty moderate).

I've been watching the roof melt for clues to heat loss. So far, I still seem to be losing heat from one particular location.

It's the spot on the right that I'm trying to figure out. Underneath that spot is a bathroom. The right edge of the spot is a wall (the room goes all the way just to the left of the double windows). Directly underneath that spot is a heat duct and a vent with a fan. Because of the heat duct, the bathroom gets pretty warm in the winter, especially when the door is left closed. So, thinking that this may encourage heat loss, this winter I closed the heat duct in that room. It doesn't seem to have helped though.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions.... things to look for, troubleshooting... for why I'm losing heat there and how to correct it?
Check the ductwork for leakage, penetration in the envelope, etc.

You have some bulk heat/air loss there that needs to be sealed prior to insulation.

+1 on checking the venting.

Search the board for air sealing and insulation and you will find countless threads detailing it.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #6

roof melt

"fart fan" goes out a vent in the north side (on the right of the picture, out of the frame)

By "+1 on checking the venting", do you mean that the vent might be blocked or obstructed? If so, I hadn't thought about that. Not sure what would be the easiest way to check that.... any suggestions?

Also, wasn't sure what you meant by penetration in the envelope?

As far as bulk heat loss goes, would it be best to rake all of the insulation back in that area, check the seal around the fan/vent and the heat duct, and then rake the insulation back?
Old 02-06-2012, 06:26 AM   #7
Shut in w/o Home

Rewards Points: 500

roof melt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipdog View Post
"fart fan" goes out a vent in the north side (on the right of the picture, out of the frame)

By "+1 on checking the venting", do you mean that the vent might be blocked or obstructed? If so, I hadn't thought about that. Not sure what would be the easiest way to check that.... any suggestions?

Also, wasn't sure what you meant by penetration in the envelope?

As far as bulk heat loss goes, would it be best to rake all of the insulation back in that area, check the seal around the fan/vent and the heat duct, and then rake the insulation back?

I'm guessing you've got big gaps around the waste vent pipe, the fart fan (and maybe a loose duct), and or gaps around the wiring coming thru the top plate.

seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote