Roof Leaking Behind Gutters - Roofing/Siding - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-16-2011, 01:09 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

roof leaking behind gutters

Hey have recently installed a roof put drip edge on followed by ice and water on bottom 3 ft then covered rest of roof with titanium udl and used the owens corning duration shingles with the inch large nailing strip however put my nails below not too low too be surface but comparible to where you would place them with oakridge or cambridge the leaking behind my gutters only happens on front of house I also increased insulation and changed gutters any ideas

Advertisement

bigg_red1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:23 AM   #2
Shut in w/o Home

Rewards Points: 500

1st look at your keyboard to the right of the M there are 3 keys ,.? using them will help us understand your question situation better you might need to add an auxiliary piece of flashing under the drip edge and over the back of the gutter or your downspouts might be clogged too small a picture or two might help

Advertisement

seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to seeyou For This Useful Post:
MJW (04-16-2011)
Old 04-16-2011, 08:38 AM   #3
MJW

Why is it so often there are single post posters that maybe think this is a chat page and think maybe they will get a quick answer to a question they are spontaneously thinking about without pictures or anything or even a proper question and actually use a question mark after their question why is that I ask you guys please tell me why this is happening so much is it because it is spring or because maybe there are people posing as homeowners and answering their own questions I just don't know
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MJW For This Useful Post:
seeyou (04-16-2011)
Old 04-16-2011, 08:43 AM   #4
old guy contractor

I'msorrycouldyourepeatthat?
tcleve4911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:47 AM   #5
KemoSabe

I didn't notice the lack of punctuation until you guys brought it up. Good catch.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:04 AM   #6
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,516

Heck that was an easy one.

From all of the time I’ve spent on this site I think I can safely add “Message Decoder” to my resume.
Old 04-16-2011, 11:10 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJW View Post
Why is it so often there are single post posters that maybe think this is a chat page and think maybe they will get a quick answer to a question they are spontaneously thinking about without pictures or anything or even a proper question and actually use a question mark after their question why is that I ask you guys please tell me why this is happening so much is it because it is spring or because maybe there are people posing as homeowners and answering their own questions I just don't know
Maybe because the site is called DIY Chatroom. Probably they just haven't figured out that it is not an actual chatroom, just a domain name that was used because all the good ones were taken.

The liberties people take when they are writing online amazes me sometimes. I try to keep my posts close to the writing level I learned in school. If you don't use it you'll lose it.

Here is situation where some pictures might help the experts get the OP the answers he is looking for. It can be difficult to describe a situation. Progress pictures would have been even more helpful though. Then somebody could spot where there may have been a step missed in the roofing process.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:16 PM   #8
Residential Roofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigg_red1 View Post
Hey have recently installed a roof put drip edge on followed by ice and water on bottom 3 ft then covered rest of roof with titanium udl and used the owens corning duration shingles with the inch large nailing strip however put my nails below not too low too be surface but comparible to where you would place them with oakridge or cambridge the leaking behind my gutters only happens on front of house I also increased insulation and changed gutters any ideas
I would make sure the gutter fasteners are properly installed.
(driven in straight and flush)

If your fascia board/covering has a wave to it, the gutter back won't be flush to it thus allowing gaps.
(install an additional flashing that goes under the drip edge and over the back of the gutters)

A picture or two from both a ground view and roof view would allow for a more informative reply, just guessing with out pictures.
Slyfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 02:24 PM   #9
Residential Roofer

This forum is called a diy chat room so home owners can "chat" with professional installers/contractors about problems they are having/experiencing in the hopes of finding a solution to those problems.

Just because a home owner is in to much of an hurry to pop in a few ,.? doe's not mean they aren't worthy of an honest and respectful response from the "professionals" who frequent this "chat" diy forum.
Old 04-16-2011, 04:01 PM   #10
MJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyfox View Post
This forum is called a diy chat room so home owners can "chat" with professional installers/contractors about problems they are having/experiencing in the hopes of finding a solution to those problems.

Just because a home owner is in to much of an hurry to pop in a few ,.? doe's not mean they aren't worthy of an honest and respectful response from the "professionals" who frequent this "chat" diy forum.
I have to disagree slightly. If you want an honest answer, you should show some respect and take the time to at least try to make a decent post.

To be honest, I try not to answer anyone with just one post.

This problem could have possibly been avoided if they would have asked more questions before the DIY project.
MJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:34 PM   #11
Residential Roofer

(MJW: I have to disagree slightly. If you want an honest answer, you should show some respect and take the time to at least try to make a decent post.)

I agree, but, that goes both ways.

(To be honest, I try not to answer anyone with just one post.)

Not posting to newbies is one thing, posting negatively with out any constructive input simply because the person is a newbie is another.

There's several reasons why the poster may have posted in the manner he did and not all of them are disrespectful reasons.

(This problem could have possibly been avoided if they would have asked more questions before the DIY project.)

Agreed
Old 04-17-2011, 08:34 AM   #12
old guy contractor

Water dripping behind gutters is caused by the capillary action of water.
It rolls back on the lower edge of the drip edge, hits the fascia and runs behind the gutter.
Some installers run a bead of silicone but that's only somewhat effective for various reasons.

If I know gutters are going to be installed, I specify a drip edge called "positive rite flow"
It has a profile that looks like an F turned on it's side.
The rear flange rests against the fascia and the front edge sends the water into the heart of the gutter.

www.lambritchie.com/catalog09.shtml

Note that it talks about installing this right over existing drip edge.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:06 AM   #13
Residential Roofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcleve4911 View Post
Water dripping behind gutters is caused by the capillary action of water.
It rolls back on the lower edge of the drip edge, hits the fascia and runs behind the gutter.
Some installers run a bead of silicone but that's only somewhat effective for various reasons.

If I know gutters are going to be installed, I specify a drip edge called "positive rite flow"
It has a profile that looks like an F turned on it's side.
The rear flange rests against the fascia and the front edge sends the water into the heart of the gutter.

www.lambritchie.com/catalog09.shtml

Note that it talks about installing this right over existing drip edge.

It doe's not happen on mine because the backside of the gutters set completely flush too the fascia and the standard drip edge with an 1/2" overhang of the shingles beyond the outer edge of the drip is far enough out from the fascia to allow water weeping back to fall into the gutters as well.

A flat stock flashing slid up under the face of the drip edge and over the top backside of the gutter will do the same job as the positive right flow.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:10 AM   #14
old guy contractor

..............and look nasty...........

seriously....how would you fasten this scrap of metal that's stuck up under the dripedge and hanging into the gutter?
Old 04-17-2011, 09:31 AM   #15
Residential Roofer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcleve4911 View Post
..............and look nasty...........

seriously....how would you fasten this scrap of metal that's stuck up under the dripedge and hanging into the gutter?

What scrap?
It's a formed piece of flashing "gutter apron extension" and much more diy friendly because it can be formed on site.

Advertisement