Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-03-2012, 10:26 PM   #1

Share |

Roof leaking

We just had a big snowfall, about 2 feet, the temps have risen above 0, and I have water dripping from my front window trim. When I looked at the roof and shingles, I noticed that a drip edge is not installed along the eave. I put tar on one area of exposed decking as it was rotted. A lot of melt water is running behind the gutter and dripping from the bottom of the aluminum covering the fascia board.I can not see any ice water membrane. Previously, I noticed that there is a wooden soffit installed behind a newer aluminum soffit. So, I have no idea how the ventilation is in the attic. And, I have a vaulted ceiling so, there is not really an attic.

I dont think i can do much now except for clearing snow off the roof. Where do I start come spring? My thoughts are to pull down the soffit and fascia board/gutter and replace these. Then, when the temps are warm enough, shingle the roof adding ice/water membrane and drip edge. Any advice is appreciated.

wwkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 10:29 PM   #2

Roof leaking

Soffits not causing the roof to leak.
All the other things you knew were wrong and did not fix correctly before the storm is causing it.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 11:05 PM   #3

Roof leaking

Given what I learned about ice damming on the forums, my soffit could be part of the problem from the advice i read...insufficient ventilation might be an issue given wood and aluminum soffit stacked installed together. Obviously, the lack of ice membrane and drip edge is the bigger issue. I didn't have the money this summer to do a reroof and was hoping to get through this winter...apparently not. i am wondering if my proposed changes were in the correct order. In another post I read, the answer to a question about replacing fascia was to do it before reroofing otherwise you risk damaging the new roof. Since the soffit is attached to the fascia, it is coming down too. If I can do those projects first, I will be ready to reroof when the weather warms up in the spring.

Last edited by wwkayaker; 11-03-2012 at 11:21 PM.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:28 PM   #4

Roof leaking

Replace it and still have water runing down behind it rotting it out again
Old 11-03-2012, 11:37 PM   #5

Roof leaking

No, I was getting too wordy so I didn't include every thought. I am thinking of doing the work in two successive weekends come spring. That way, I am not rushing and can avoid the mistakes the previous person made which created the mess.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:39 PM   #6

Roof leaking

May want to move up getting that roof fixed. If you wait there will be sheathing, drywall damage, and mold will have time to set in.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:30 AM   #7

Roof leaking

I want to do it soon but the weather is an issue. I live in a windy area and with the cold, I am concerned the shingles may not adhere to one another. Thus, potentially more issues. I have been thinking about calling a contractor because I would then have a warranty. I think that might be my next step.
Old 11-04-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
RFN-4A-LVN

Roof leaking

Sometimes with winter installs I add a nice bead/dab of roofing cement under the shingles to assist with the sealing process.Winter installations require attention to detail but winter installs happen every winter and turn out successful.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #9

Roof leaking

When water was dripping from the window did the roof have an ice dam that looked like this one pictured?

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...QEwAQ&dur=2008
Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 04:47 PM   #10

Roof leaking

Roofmaster, I thought about using some roofing cement. I read some manufacturers installation directions and there is some guidelines as far as the lowest temperature shingles can be installed. Do shingles become more difficult to work with in the cold...breaking, not laying properly?

Fairview, my roof is about a 3:12 pitch. The picture definitely has some similarities with snow load and icicles but it was not cold enough to have ice. I shoveled about 5 feet of snow that I could reach and it was just heavy, wet snow without ice.
Old 11-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
RFN-4A-LVN

Roof leaking

Roofing in extreme cold temps requires more caution than say the spring,summer,fall and early winter.

One installation issue that is common is high air pressure causing what is known as "Blow through".The high air pressure with addition to the frigid temps blows the fastener through the shingle you are trying to fasten and the shingle below the one your fastening.If proper air pressure cannot be achieved its best to hand nail promising proper fastener seating.

I have seen the aftermath of what happens to a roof in the spring when severe weather rolls in when proper air pressure isn't maintained.Straight line winds,updrafts and micro burst will sent the roof in the neighbors yard or several blocks away.

Handling of the shingles and bundles is different in frigid temps versus the seasons I mentioned above.If bundles are dropped during these extreme temps the shingles themselves may crack or break resulting in shingle failure if applied.Sometimes if your not paying attention you might install one of these cracked shingles and not know it until the spring when the shingle falls apart.

Installing shingles in a valley if not careful can crack and break the valley resulting in damage to the decking,insulation and drywall.

Care is also needed with the handling and installation of ridge cap.Sometimes if the ridge is being applied to a 10/12 and steeper the ridge will crack and break after being folded over the ridge the first time.I like holding about 10-15 ridge caps and folding the all at the same time over my knee.Pre-bending them assists with the forming over the ridge when fastening.

Also roofers that use plastic pipe flashings,ridge vent and roof vents should hand nail these accessories because these components get very cold and will shatter when struck with a fastener from a nail gun.

I roof when its in the upper 20's and in my area that is considered very cold.If the sun is out I tear the roof off,roll the felt,pop my lines then open bundles and spread them out on the felt.The felt being black absorbs the sun then in turn warms and flattens the shingles.

I have found when I do that my roofs lay flat and don't look like a normal winter install or some of the pix found on these home improvement forums.I know people here roof in th negatives so that's why I will do it but only if the sun is out.The sun is your friend during winter installations.

Last edited by Roofmaster417; 11-04-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Roofmaster417 is offline   Reply With Quote