Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-04-2009, 10:43 AM   #1

Share |

Roof leak around my chimney - update

I am still having a problem with a roof leak near the brick/masonry chimney in our 4 year old 2 story home in N. Texas that I posted about last month. The ceiling in a second story bedroom had water damage near where the chimney extended through the room to the roof. The roof has a very steep pitch - 14/12. We had a reputable roofing company perform a water test which showed water leaking along the rafters near the chimney and onto the attic floor which was causing the damage to the bedroom ceiling. They made the following repairs:

- Remove the flashing around the chimney and installed a new top pan that is at least 8 inches and new step flashing.
- They also installed a surface mounted wall riglet on the top pan side of the roof where the saddle is and replaced the shingles where removed.

Over the past 6 weeks we have had our first heavy rains since the repairs were done in April and a new leak has occurred in the same bedroom - this time along the corner of the outside wall that frames the chimney. The original leak in the ceiling appears to be OK (although I haven't had the damage repaired yet as you will see in the pictures)

The roofing company thinks the problem may be with the chimney and not the roof. This seems strange since the problems I am experiencing are similar to before they made the repairs - just in a different area in the bedroom. I took photos during a recent heavy rain that seem to indicate that the leak is now occurring at the roofline at the lower (front) base of chimney. There did not seem to be any moisture seeping through the brick/mortar of the chimney. I've attached pictures of the roof, attic and damage in the bedroom. I would appreciate any suggestions regarding what the problem may be and how I should address it with the roofing company. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Roof leak around my chimney - update-exterior_001.jpg   Roof leak around my chimney - update-interior_001.jpg   Roof leak around my chimney - update-r1-6.jpg   Roof leak around my chimney - update-r1-7.jpg  

Last edited by GlennAble; 11-04-2009 at 12:01 PM.
GlennAble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:55 AM   #2

Post this on Roofing.Com

You will get better responses from more professionals than on this site here. There also may be companies that frequent that site that may be able to come look at it for you.

I have dealt with this situation before with a homeowner and it was the actual chimney cap of the chimney that was leaking and nothing related to the roof.

BamBamm5144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 11:04 AM   #3

Roof leaks can be very difficult to pinpoint. The water does not alway enter the house at the exact point of the leak and it can be a matter of trial and error to locate the source.
Does the chimney have a cricket above it? A means to divert the water around the chimney, a triangle of sorts that would shed the water to either side of the chimney. I would post a photo of one, but I do not have one handy.

I quick found a link for you to look at
Link to a cricket example
http://www.builderbill-diy-help.com/...ey-cricket.png

Time to Get Up Out of Your Chair and Do it Yourself! ArmchairDIY.com

Last edited by ArmchairDIY; 11-05-2009 at 11:06 AM. Reason: add image link
ArmchairDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 06:24 PM   #4

http://books.google.com/books?id=iwS...himney&f=false
Be safe, Gary