Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-22-2010, 04:02 PM   #1

Share |

Roof Leak

I just had a new roof put on not even two years ago and noticed a wet spot on my ceiling near the chimmney. I went up into the attic to see if i could see anything and the trusses and the ply wood near the chimmney show signs of water damage. I went on to the roof and noticed that the tar that was put around the chimmney was cracked and figured that that was where the water was leaking in from. I bought some rubber roofing cement, cleaned out all the old tar and cemented the @#$% out of the chimmeny. It rained today and went into the attic and no dripping water or water run off, but I can stick my hand into a 2inch gap next to the chimmney and feel the lead falshing and when my hand came out there was a drip of water on it. So I guess my question is what do I do next. Call a roofer in, try more cement, let the cement dry for a couple more days (it has only been 1 day and not that warm here and it rained the next day). I dont know where to go from here. The roof was done by my father in law who is not a roofer, but has done many roofs not like that has any value to a professional. Any help would be great thank you.

chris0914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 04:25 PM   #2

Roof Leak

It sounds to me as if the chimney does not have proper flashing with counter-flashing. Roofing sealant (tar) in my (limited) experience has a useful life of one to two year before it dries out and cracks. It's a good solution until a proper fix can be done, but is by no means permanent.

You can get fiberglass patches to put into the tar to help hold it in place, and that may extend the life, but I think you need replacement flashing.

A professional roofer might drop in to give better advice, I'm not a roofer.

echase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:17 PM   #3

Roof Leak

The "correct" person to call is your father in law. would of been better to call him before applying the goop. Of course how you "word" it will be important. If you want to stay on your wife's good side, be nice to her dad.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:24 PM   #4

Roof Leak

Yea I did do the fiberglass patch inside the cement to hold it better. One layer of cement, fiberglass laid in that, then another layer of cement on that. Thought it might be the flashing also. Hard to tell though thats why I came on here to see if anyone else had the same thing happen to them. And yes I should have called him first but like you said dont think I would be married right now if I did
Old 03-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #5

Roof Leak

no, no, call him, thats how to stay on his good side. I guarantee you,, he's going to wonder why you didn't call earlier.
Old 03-22-2010, 06:09 PM   #6

Roof Leak

I believe it will continue to give you headaches until you get it properly flashed. I dallied around with roofing tar and cement for a number of years on a problem area of my garage roof. The leak eventually won and had to be dealt with properly. While you are at it, check out the cap on your chimney. Once the cap fails, it starts letting water in and will continue to erode away at the morter. I just paid 800 to rebuild five courses and point the areas below that that were worn away. I see a lot of chimneys around town that are in worse shape than mine was. Yikes!
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 07:16 PM   #7

Roof Leak

Yea I agree think I will just bit the bullet and call a roofer in.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:23 PM   #8

Roof Leak

call your inlaw and ask if he can come fix the small leak that has developed and that you would like to work with him to learn how its done. also go with as much info as you can get from here and ask leading intelligent questions like if we were to do it this way do you think that would be a good idea dad
Old 03-22-2010, 07:30 PM   #9
Pro Slate Roofer

Roof Leak

Never take 'tar' or other 'goop' from a store and put it on a roof. Unless you do want leaks.
Though the pictures and text are about slate, it's the same for shingles too. http://www.albertsroofing.com/Chimney%20Repair.htm
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 10:40 PM   #10

Roof Leak

I respectfully disagree with Tinner. I think goop can be useful for a homeowner with a roof that is approaching end of life, to buy a couple of months. If you just had a storm roll through you might need to wait that long to get a reputable roofer at a decent price.

BUT, in my opinion this stuff should not be applied by a homeowner to an otherwise good roof, it's temporary patch for somehing that will soon be replaced.
echase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 06:12 AM   #11
Pro Slate Roofer

Roof Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by echase View Post
I respectfully disagree with Tinner. I think goop can be useful for a homeowner with a roof that is approaching end of life, to buy a couple of months. If you just had a storm roll through you might need to wait that long to get a reputable roofer at a decent price.

BUT, in my opinion this stuff should not be applied by a homeowner to an otherwise good roof, it's temporary patch for something that will soon be replaced.

THat roof sure went fast! I quote "I just had a new roof put on not even two years ago" and "I went on to the roof and noticed that the tar that was put around the chimmney was cracked".

I guess you can sometimes get another month while using cement. Maybe. 99% of the time, it slows the water a bit, then holds it to the decking and keeps the deck very wet. Using it will insure some wood replacement.
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 07:41 AM   #12

Roof Leak

A 2 year old roof shouldn't need patching
My last house the roof was a mess & I used a 5g bucket Temp until I could redo the roof
But should not be done on a new roof
Proper flashing installed 1st prevents long term problems
Scuba_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 12:17 PM   #13
Shut in w/o Home

Roof Leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner666 View Post
Never take 'tar' or other 'goop' from a store and put it on a roof. Unless you do want leaks.
Shhh, Frank. Quit telling them that. I've made a good living fixing stuff after the "tar monster" has been there.
seeyou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 04:19 PM   #14

Roof Leak

Let me ask you guys this one roofer called me and told me to get a mason without even looking at the roof. Told me with all this wind and rain 99% of the time its the brick taking in water not the flashing on such a new roof. How am I suppose to tell wheater its the flashing, roof, or brick. I mean it cant hurt to seal my brick with a sealer but I am getting estimates from roofers to repair my roof's flashing but I dont really even know if its that now. How do you tell. If it is the brick will water still be getting into my attic. I notice sometimes in the basement that there is a pool of water near my chimmney with no visable signs of water running down the outside of it but up in my attic the trusses and the ply wood on the roof are soaked so. Just dont know what to go with.
Old 03-24-2010, 04:58 PM   #15

Roof Leak

I have to agree with you that is a bold assumption for a roofer to make without even looking at the flashing. I wonder if the mason could flash it anyway. As I posted before, mason's are not cheap.

Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote