Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-26-2014, 01:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Roof Leak

Hi All,

I have a roof leak after having a new roof put on 10 years ago.

When it started a roofing contractor came out and told me it was the skylight leaking and going below it on the room, where the water stains are in the kitchen.

I agreed, to replace the skylight, against my better judgement, and now the guy doesn't back up his work. I have called at least 10 times and they came back out once and put silicone caulking between the tabs of the shingles. (I guess this was their idea of a quick fix). This is the kind of leak that only happens when it rains in a certain direction, really hard.

It's also componded in difficulty by the leak coming into the attic and going into the insulation batting, and therefore, not hitting the sheetrock when it leaks every time. So, I"m afraid it's causing mold, in the attic!!
The roof doesn't have much of a pitch, so it's not possible to get into the attic space where it is. It's also a tongue and groove sheathing now.

Just got an estimate yesterday from a contractor who wants to take the whole side of the roof off, and re-do it along with the gutters around the entire house. The price was shocking, and I would rather do it myself than pay him this much money. Oh, by the way, he also gave me a price on a new roof for $12,500.

1) Do I tackle this problem myself, by tearing off the shingles and re-roofing it from the skylight down?
2) Call other contractors, (already called 2 others, the original and another one, that never called me back)?
3) Pay this contractor what he wants?

Don't know which way to turn??

Ttd0715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:27 AM   #2

Roof Leak

I would fix the problem myself if I were you as it's not too difficult.

Removing the skylight would probably be the easiest method to prevent future leaks.

REXAMUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 06:28 AM   #3
Exterior Construction

Rewards Points: 2,434

Roof Leak

Where is the leak coming from and what was the other contractors rationale for tearing off the whole side roof off?

If it is the skylight, fix the skylight.

If you are comfortable on a roof (be mindful that if you aren't hire a pro), you can fix it.
Windows on Wash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:57 PM   #4

Roof Leak

Hello All,

I don't think it's the skylight, because it was leaking below the skylight originally, when the first contractor came out and told me that's what I needed. (I guess they were just looking for some quick cash)! So, I figured they knew what they were talking about, and I said to go ahead.

I then re-painted the ceiling, and I thought that was it. About 3 months later I saw water stains again in the kitchen ceiling below the skylight. I don't think it's the skylight though-because changing it made no difference.

The estimate I just got was to tear off the entire side of the roof, and use two rows of ice and water shield, and then felt and shingles. This is already a two layer roof, so by just replacing the section, would cause a noticeable bump in the roof. The cost for this plus gutters is $6500.

So, do I get a few more estimates, before going forward? I would like to have this done before the weather turns cold. I am leaning toward not doing this myself, since I am not an experienced roofer, and don't want to take it off, and once it's back on, still have the leak.

Thanks,
TTD

Last edited by Ttd0715; 08-26-2014 at 11:01 PM. Reason: Left out something
Ttd0715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 01:53 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 190

Roof Leak

you can try to fix it yourself. might be better to take down some of the ceiling to see where its exactly coming in. might save you a lot of work and money. some times you can get a leak that a real nightmare to find. im sure most of us have had one or two. i have.
hotrod351 is offline   Reply With Quote