Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Roofing/Siding

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

roof leak

I have a leak around the edge of my brick chimney. I have asphalt shingles and the roof pitch is 10/12. The singles are 13 years old and in good condition. On visual inspection there appears to be no problem with the shingles at the area of the leak, and no issue with the flashing.

It's raining here today so when watching the leak from in the attic, the water is running down behind a 2X6 framed up against the chimney and dripping off the low end of it. I can't take this 2X6 out because the decking and is nailed to it.

On the roof it's going to be hard to get to the flashing under the shingles, as the shingles are stuck pretty good. I'm afraid any prying around to get the shingles up is going to do more damage than good.

Any ideas???

glock19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 10:31 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,040

roof leak

If possible -
some pictures in the attic and some pics of the outside of the chimney -
would help.

rossfingal

rossfingal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
Doing This Way Too Long

Rewards Points: 524

roof leak

Just from your brief description it is obvious that your flashings do have issues and need some attention. No, going up and smearing mastic or caulk on it is not the solution. This only makes matters worse and more expensive in the long run. It needs to be taken apart and redone at least from the point of intrusion and above.
Old 11-26-2013, 06:07 PM   #4
Pro Slate Roofer

Rewards Points: 1,030

roof leak

Is your flashing cut nice and tight like this one on the brown roof? If so, caulk is the only thing keeping water out at the back of the chimney. As soon as it cracks att he corners, water starts wicking in, usually within a year. By time 5 years go by, it's pretty noticable.
ALL the water from above passes directly over the caulked hole. All of it.

The best option is like this one on the slate roof. Water runs out and away from the chimney corner and the bent metal is a wing wing that prevents windblown water from even hitting the vulnerable corner and casusing a leak
Attached Thumbnails
roof leak-tight-flashing.jpg   roof leak-tinners-wing-3-.jpg  
tinner666 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tinner666 For This Useful Post:
rossfingal (11-26-2013)
Old 11-26-2013, 08:01 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,152

roof leak

I like it when a customer tell me I know it's not the chimney leaking I just had a new roof put on and it looks something like this.
http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=...lectedIndex=85
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:00 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

roof leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinner666 View Post
Is your flashing cut nice and tight like this one on the brown roof? If so, caulk is the only thing keeping water out at the back of the chimney. As soon as it cracks att he corners, water starts wicking in, usually within a year. By time 5 years go by, it's pretty noticable.
ALL the water from above passes directly over the caulked hole. All of it.

The best option is like this one on the slate roof. Water runs out and away from the chimney corner and the bent metal is a wing wing that prevents windblown water from even hitting the vulnerable corner and casusing a leak
thanks for all the replys. This is NOT my chimney but this is the way the flashing on mine is made. All seams and the way it fits up against the chimney looks good. The water is apparently running off the left ridge and down the side of the chimney and someway getting under the shingles and finding a hole or tear in the flashing.

As stated in the above post, I'm probably just going to have to tear off these shingles to get top the problem.

glock19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:00 AM   #7
Pro Slate Roofer

roof leak

That's a cricket. It's two valleys seperating the water flow behind the chimney to divert it to either side. The bottoms of the cricket should extend about 3" past/around the corners in a similar fashion to the wing I showed above.
If they're cut short and tight like the first pic I posted, caulk is the only thing, again, keeping water out.
This is a leaking cricket corner. The caulk is the only thing there and it's sending water into the house.

Oh, here's a pic of an incorrect 'tinner's wing' that leaks like a sieve. There is a 3" vertical exposed area relying on caulk. Also note the counter-flashing does not come down low enough to cover even the top of the fold, again relying on caulk.
Attached Thumbnails
roof leak-chimney-corner-others-3-.jpg   roof leak-incorrect-tinner-wing-4-.jpg  

Last edited by tinner666; 12-01-2013 at 10:25 AM. Reason: typos and an omission
roofermann (11-27-2013)
Old 11-27-2013, 09:06 AM   #8
Pro Slate Roofer

roof leak

For comparison, since I'm orating here, this is a correctly folded tinner's wind. You can see how the flap keeps water out even during hurricane winds and tropical amounts of water fall. This will work, with or without any caulk at all.

I think some people get wrapped up in trying to be 'neat and tight to create a showpiece. They forget it's a roof and the primary objective is function and keeping the water out.
Attached Thumbnails
roof leak-chimney-pan-corner.jpg  

rossfingal (11-27-2013)